Monday, January 21, 2013

Formal Living and Dining Room

Last week, I told you that we bought a vacation house in FL and showed you a little bit of the kitchen and family room. Today, I would like to share the formal living and dining rooms. This is the "Before" picture. I only had a half a day to unload all the stuff from 6 luggage and anything I shipped to my daughter's house, wash the dishes and put them away in the kitchen cabinets, so there is still so much more to do when I get back. But the house is livable.
 
They left us pretty much all of their furniture which were very clean and almost new since it was just a couple who lived there.
 
 
The view coming in from the front door.
 The furniture are so much more modern than what we have in MS but I can work with them. It is nice to have a different look.
 
Below are the "after" pictures.
 
I added an area rug that I bought from One King's Lane and had it shipped to my daughter's who lives next door with her family. Convenient, huh? I brought the runner from our MS home and placed it near the glass sliding door to catch the water from people coming from the pool. It is washable so it is more practical than decorative. I added the 2 pillows I also brought from home to add color and added the tray with little colored vases to match the rug.
 
I moved 2 matching side tables that I found in other rooms and moved a pair of lamps that I also found around the house. I added a few accessories on the tables that I had packed in the luggage. I brought anything that would fit in the luggage when we flew including a set of Old Britain Castles christmas and regular dishes and pillows to cushion them. Fortunately, only 1 dessert plate broke.

The side table in the foreground was originally on the side of the sofa and there was only one so I moved it to the loveseat side and as I mentioned earlier, placed the matching ones on either side of the longer sofa. The wall there is wider. I hang a turquoise throw on one arm rest of the loveseat just to spread the color around. I can't wait to do more when I get back. I need pictures on the wall too. There are still lots of open spaces. I would like to add decorating magazines on the bottom shelves of the tables but I was not able to bring any cause they are heavy and our luggage were already almost 50 lbs. each mostly because of the dishes that I brought.
 This is the dining room before I started decorating. They left us that dining set, in fact, it is the only furniture that I added to our offer that I presented to them, because my daughter wants to have it. To our surprise, they left us everything including 2 complete sets of bedroom furniture that looks like modern Italian in addition to all these and 2 sets of leather sofa, an Italian leather sectional in the family room. My daughter was debating if she will still take this dining set because it only has 4 chairs but she really likes the table so she might. For now, it is here so I changed the vignette on the table.
 
They left the picture on the wall too.
 The picture looks like a French cafe. They only left the big one in the center. I am not sure if I leave it there permanently but now, it is better than nothing and I do not dislike it.
 A view of the living room from the dining room at night. Love the high ceilings!
 The table top is very pretty which is what my daughter likes too. We took a quick trip to HomeGoods and I bought the vase to put the yellow flowers that I brought from our MS home. I pulled the candle holders from the luggage and place them on the table but I have no candles yet. Isn't the glass top of the table pretty?


 I added a set of blue fish S & P shakers brought from the MS home. It is so much fun to just shop from one house to another, lol. It costs nothing.
 This was taken when I was looking at the house showing my daughter, son in law and the sellers. I love this enclosed pool area and I want to put a long dining table in that covered area for future dinner parties.
 This is how close we are to my daughter's house. Tina's house is the one you see on the left. She called us when the neighbor's decided to move in a condo to another city and said "Our neighbor's house is for sale. Buy it!" And John told me to fly there tast Nov. to check it out. We flew back there last week to close. I like the tile roof.
 John saw it for the first time last week and likes it too.
 
Thanks for stopping by.
I am linking with
Susan for Metamorphosis Monday
Kathryn's Make it Pretty Monday
Masterpieces Monday
Sally's Blue Monday
Marty's Tabletop Tuesday at
Centerpiece Wed
Richella for Grace at Home
Kathy's Home and Garden
Katherine's Favorite Things Thursday
Gina for Transformation Thursday

22 comments:

Terri said...

Christine, you've worked wonders to make that house warmer and more welcoming already! It's a beautiful house and I have a feeling you'll be spending a lot of time there. :))

Johnny and I will be driving up to Natchez sometime in the coming weeks. I gave him a night at a B & B up there as a Christmas gift. The owner is all into model trains and is friends with a friend of mine.

sabri said...

It's Gorgeous Christine...And Love What You Have Doe With It So Far..That Pool Area Is To Die For Also..Bet Your Going To Be Sharing Alot Of Dinner Parties..Have Fun Decorating Your New Home..xoxo ~Sabri~

Regina said...

A beautiful house!

Regards.

xo
Regina

Blondie's Journal said...

I love how you are already making this house a home and adding your style. It really is just beautiful...love the high ceilings, too!

I have to go back to see the pictures of the kitchen. Congratulations!

XO,
Janie

Traci said...

Christine, it's a great house & it's really coming together! You work fast! I love the dining table. It's really unique.

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying seeing you put your personality into your new home Christine. It is looking beautiful!

SmilingSally said...

What a nice idea, and Tina is so close.

Happy Blue Monday!

Sue said...

Your vacation home looks very much like what we want to buy for our only home when we move to Florida. I really want a pool and hopefully enclosed. We hope to vacation in Michigan after we retire for the summers, but we don't want to buy there as the winter weather would require someone to take care of the house and we wouldn't have family there to do so. Your new home is really pretty...I hope we get as lucky!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very Pretty! You are going to really enjoy your time spent there - thanks for sharing it with us.

Sarah said...

You and John are going to enjoy this home, and it will be fun to add your touch to it over time. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, your second home is so nice, Christine. You're putting your touch to it and it will be fantastic. How blessed to have your daughter across the street! The pool area is gorgeous!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Love your second house Chris and I really like the idea you making it more modern, that's fun! Congrats my friend, you really picked a great looking house...and hey, next to a daughter, who can't beat that!!! Wish I could buy one day something by my girls too!
FABBY

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Christine,

Congrats on your new vacation home!!

Thanks so much for stopping by, my freind!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Debbiedoos said...

Congrats to you Christine! How wonderful. You are going to love being so close to your daughter. The pool area is just gorgeous too!

Debbiedoos said...

Oh and that rug in the LR, I LOVED it!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How exciting! It's a beautiful home and I know you will love living here! The rug you got adds just the right amount of color and all of the furnishings are lovely! I'm so happy for you! Sweet hugs, Diane

Anonymous said...

I love your rug and pops of color to soften the modern furniture. The window in your dining room is very pretty too. My brother would be envious of you because one day he would love to live in Florida and have perfect golf weather all the time. Thanks for stopping by my blog tonight!

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

Lucky you! and right beside your daughter! The house is so nice and I love the pool! I see some entertaining in your future! Blessings, Tammy

Julia Kendrick said...

So pretty! I love your furniture! Julia @ www.juliakendrick.com

Unknown said...

Job well done Christine. Lucky you to have a house just next door to a daughter...that's my Dream.
Hope we could visit you in Florida one day... never been there (except a day stop over in Key West during Carnival Cruise, in Liue of Cayman Island due to Hurricane Distress last Oct. 2012). Take care & enjoy DECORATING.

Katherines Corner said...

your lovely decorating touches made this house a warm and welcoming home. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

Shelley Hubbard said...

I think my favorite part of your house is the view from the front door out to the pool. There is a lot of sunlight that hits this area and it just looks inviting. The rugs add a nice homey touch and add a pop of color. Your house is beautiful and it’s a bonus with family next door!

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday