Tuesday, January 15, 2013

A Christmas Present for Us!

 
Hi Everyone! It seems like eons since I visited but really, we were only gone for a long weekend. A very hectic trip for sure. We left last Friday for Florida and attended the grand twins' birthday party on Saturday, which I have to post soon. Sunday morning, we drove 2 and half hrs away to my other daughter's home. We (or rather John did!) bought the house next to them for our vacation and retirement home and we closed early on Monday. Yep, it's a big Christmas present to ourselves! Monday night, we flew back home.
 
Below, you will see the front of the house. It is a typlical FL home with tile roof.

 I love the house! Luckily John liked it too. This weekend was the first time he saw it though I looked at it last November and immediately fell in love and made an offer the following day. The real value of the home is that it is right next door to Tina and her family. The sellers at the time already had a cash offer but luckily because of my daughter and son in law being their neighbors, they accepted our offer instead. Another plus is Tina's neighbor on the other side is a very nice German family, Natascha (seen in the pic with us), Chris and their son Jan. And oh, most especially is my son in law, Scott, who is such a big help in maintaining the pool and the lawn. Thanks, Scott!
 And so in a half day that we were there, I was very busy decorating. Tina owed us a Christmas present and I told her to just wait till we got there so I can pick. We made a very quick stop to HG, which is only a few blocks away (another BIG plus! LOL!) and I picked 2 things for our presents. One of them is the wire cloche below. The tea set, I bought from HG also last Nov when I saw the house and I left it at Tina's house knowing I would use it here.
The stuff inside the cloche were items I brought from our MS home. I am sure they are not in there permanently. I was just pressed for time and I wanted to leave the house in a neat condition.
 We flew on SW and took advantage of the 2 allowed free luggage. Dragging 6 huge luggage in addition to 3 hand carries and my mom while John was parking, was a big challenge, but I made it. Only 1 luggage had our clothes and a small one with mama's clothes. I had to pack them separately cause I left her with my brother while we went to the new house. Such a big help cause I was able to accomplish so much more. It was so much better coming home cause I left 2 big empty luggage there. Nice to have an additional place to store things, lol.
 The other present Tina gave me is this terrarium. I am not sure if what's in it will be permanent or if they will even stay on the kitchen counter but that is how I left them for now. I do not have much stuff there yet but luckily the sellers left most of their furniture to us too. They were really so gracious. They even left us a bottle of champagne (shown in the corner) and a box of chocolates.

We got the bar stools for free also, left by sellers. Everything was so clean. I don't think they ever used the dining set in the dining room (which they also left) cause it is so clean. It was only a couple who lived there and they kept the house spotless. I did not have to do anything to move in.
 My coffee pot will go on this counter after I buy one. This will be my coffee nook. Those bird pics are there temporarily. I had no hammer nor nails yet at the time to hang them.


 Another thing I want to share with you today is this huge Italian leather sofa, which the owner gave us. I moved it forward towards the TV, added more pillows and placed the coffee table, which they also left for us, in front of it. It was by the wall. I wanted to make this family room look warmer, looked too cold for me.  The "Before" picture is following this. I want to get an area rug for here too. The sellers also left the picture on the wall and also that counter high breakfast table and chairs near the distant window. I will show it closer next time.
 Below is the "Before" picture. It was pushed way back making the room look very long and narrow. There is a flat screened TV on the wall in the foreground, which you do not see in the picture.
 
We got this kitchen table for free too. It's counter high so the pool can easily be seen while having breakfast.



I have so much more to share but it will on another post. I can't wait to go back there to finish decorating but I have to wait until my mom leaves cause she is here with me right now until Feb., then I can stay longer. Thanks so much for your visits and thanks to the foloowing kind hostesses.

Marty's Tabletop Tuesday at
Kathy's A Return To Loveliness
Sandi's Teatime Tues

27 comments:

Traci said...

Congratulations! It looks like a great house! It's going to be so fun to decorate.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Oh wow, what a great house and congratulations!!!!! I love that you have so much furniture left by the previous owners, that sure makes it nice for right now. Beautiful home. Thanks for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Helen said...

Could anything in the world be better than living next to your daughter, even if it is part time? Don't think so. Congrats!!!!!!

Pinky at Designs by Pinky said...

Congratulations, Christine!! This is a beautiful home and I know YOU will make it even better!!! Much happiness there, when you move permanently. XO, Pinky

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

CONGRATS Christine how exciting!! Beautiful house, can't wait to see more of it!

Susan said...

Oh, Christine, I'm so happy for you!!! I can't wait to see how you decorate your new home! Congratulations!!

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very Nice !! Congratulations!
You are really going to enjoy your new home.

Marigene said...

Congratulations on your beautiful new home, Christine! I am anxious to see how you will be decorating it.
Are you selling the other house?

Dolores said...

Congratulations!!! It looks like a fantastic home.... what fun you'll have decorating!!
Hugs,

Sarah said...

Christine, I know you and John will love being close to those grands. And you'll have a terrific time decorating this new home. Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Sooo warm n cozy despite the fact that it is big! You definitely know how to fix it up! Again a reunion in Florida will be great! Is this near Disney or Epcot or Universal? LOL

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine! OH, my! I'm so thrilled for you to find this lovely house and right next door to your family! I'm not going to be jealous, I promise! :)
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Cindy @ Dwellings-The Heart of Your Home said...

So happy for you! Beautiful home and all the wonderful furniture, etc...so nice!!! Hi to mom, enjoy your time with her!
Blessings,
Cindy

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Oh congrats my friend! I love your new house and all the fun that comes with decorating it and bringing so many great things you have at the Natchez home too! Yeah, it also has so many pluses, specially how it's next to your dear Tina, such fun! I'm visiting the little girls again, as Sofia is in Miami on business with her hubs. Enjoy your new house, along with John. Big hugs,
FABBY

Amy said...

Congratulation! This is such a beautiful house. Can't wait to see how you decoration it. ;)

Beth said...

Christine, What a beautiful home! I love the kitchen, and the leather couch is gorgeous! You and John will love spending time there, both now and after he retires. Enjoy!!!

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Congratulations on the new home. Girl I can hardly keep up with furnishing one, can't imagine two. I know you're going to love being closer to the grands. hugs ~lynne ~

Debby@Just Breathe said...

Congratulations....I love the house and know how much fun you are going to have decorating it!

Anonymous said...

Christine your new vacation/retirement home is gorgeous! Congratulations, what a wonderful find.

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Wow! Girl, you have been busy! What a wonderful retirement home, Christine; so happy for you! The leather couch is alot like my son's. Tan leather? Thank you for joining me for tea and I love your Christmas gifts.

Blessings,
Sandi

Bernideen said...

Sounds like a very nice trip and lovely items! Thanks so much for sharing with Friends Sharing Tea!

Two Cottages And Tea said...

What a beautiful new home! Its so wonderful that its next to your daughter. I'm so happy for you!
Nancy

Alycia Nichols said...

WOW!!!!! Congratulations, and please set up a room for me!!!!!! What a nice house! You guys are really going to enjoy that! It's great that you were able to get it! And how cool is that that you got some furniture thrown in, too?!??!!! Hooray! What a score!!! Have fun decorating with your new Christmas gifts!

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

How wonderful to find a home near your children. I sure miss living in Florida.I know you will have a wonderful time decorating.

Kathleen said...

Wow! I missed this one, and my friend who is not a blogger told me about it! John bought you another house to fill with dishes, lol!
How nice it is next door to your dd, and it looks like you got a good deal! Best of luck with it!

Katherines Corner said...

big congratulations on your home, So wonderful to be close to your daughter too. I am fortunate that my daughter and her beautiful family bought a home a couple of years ago only a few blocks away! Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things hop xo

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Christine, are you going to have fun or what? We are just finishing our basement and I can hardly sleep dreaming about decorating it. lol! The sellers were so gracious to leave you so many nice things. So happy for you and what a bonus to be right next door to your daughter. I love both the cloche and the terrarium. Can't wait to see you add your special touch. Thanks for sharing with Share Your Cup.
hugs,
Jann

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday