Friday, October 24, 2014

Kitchen mantel Transformation

I love our kitchen but it seems dark because of the brown beamed ceiling, dark brick floors and wall, a brown door leading to the formal dining room and brown cabinets. DH has a problem with painting wood so I had to think of something not too major that I could lighten up. While I was in FL babysitting grandkids and they were busy watching "Care Bears",  I thought about the fireplace mantel. Yes, I can paint that!
 
I went on line and ordered an Annie Sloan chalk paint in "Cream" color, to match the kitchen counter tops and island silestone, which has a creamy color with a very faint tinge of yellow. I think it matches very well. Do you see the island top on the lower corner of the picture below?
 This shows the before and after. I like it now for 2 reasons, it brightens the room somewhat and it also makes the mantel stand out against the brick wall.

 After painting it, I distressed it a little and applied some wax over.




 We have a full size sliding door which brings in light, and more windows in the breakfast nook which does not show in this photo, but the brown beamed ceiling really brings out darkness.

 I really like how it turned out and John liked it too, even though he asked if we can wait till I got back from Florida to rethink some more. But I could not wait and I started painting away as soon as he left for work. He said he can actually see the details on the mantel now, which he did not know existed, lol.


 I hope you like it too. Now I like our kitchen even better.
Thank you for stopping by. And many thanks to everyone I am linking to below.
Susan's Metamorphosis Monday
Cindy's Amaze me Monday
Mary's Masterpieces Monday
Kathryn's Make it Pretty Monday
Marty's Inspire Me Tuesday
Maria Elena's Tuesdays at Our Home
Kathryn's Before and After Wed
Paula's What's It Wed
Sarah's Homemaking party
Kathy's Home and Garden Thursday
Home Sweet Home
Kate's Flaunt it Friday
Fridays Unfolded

 

No comments:

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday