Monday, September 9, 2013

Summer to Fall Transition Table

It's still very hot outside although it cools off somewhat in the evenings. I thought I would set up a transitional table to welcome Fall. But I am doing it gradually, still no pumpkins to be seen here. They are still waiting in the garage.
 

 But I started using my browns, polka dotted brown on white placemats to begin with. My table runner is still a soft sheer material with embroideries for a little summery look.

I bought these American historical transferware dinner plates from an estate sale a few months ago. I did not want to cover them that is why I did not use any salad plates. Instead, I used 2 plate chargers, a wooden one that I bought from Walmart for $6 each about 3 years ago and taupe ceramic ones from Z Gallerie purchased on clearance 2 years ago. I think I paid $3.99 for each.
 I think they all blend together well.

 They are made by Johnson Brothers and the pattern name is "View of Boston, Massachusettes" as you can see written on the back of the plates below. I bought another set from the same estate sale, that were labeled "Thanksgiving". I think I will be able to use them soon too.
 For my centerpiece, I added 2 orchids. One is faux and the other is real. I know orchids are tropical but I see them in the woods too growing on trees. Can you tell which one is real?
 The one on the right is real and is doing very well. I only put 4 ice cubes on the pot every week to water it.
 I finally used this transferware tureen for the first time. I bought it from Richard Cottrell's Etsy shop a while back.
 I added some woodsy orbs, a bird and 2 buck tea light candle holders and that completes the centerpiece.
 The wood orb was 10 cents in a yard sale.
 The hunt scene tankard used as a vase here, was from Ebay.

 I love this vase. I cannot remember where I bought it, either from an antique shop downtown or from an estate sale. It reminds me of a Majolica vase. Did you notice the children's heads on top?
 I also added 2 rustic candelabra on either side of the centerpiece.
 The green flutes are from the dollar store. I also bought matching goblets from there but there were only 7 left in the store so I need to find another Dollar store to complete the set. I used another set of green stemware from my collection instead.

A duck Spode and a set of vintage pewter pheasants for S & P shakers.

The flatware are Spode Woodland and I used 3 types of napkin rings. Birds, butterflies and dragon flies are all around in the summer but these rustic looking ones are perfect for a Fall transition table.

I got the deer napkin ring from an antique store downtown. I wish there were more but that is it, so I just added it as a table accessory.


 Do you see how the light is casting a rainbow color reflection on the lidded compote?
 Lastly, I want to show you my Victorian Hunt scene figure again. It used to stand on top of the French provincial cabinet but I am afraid to put it back up there because it is very heavy. It will stay here for now.
 Embroidered sheer runner was from Horchow
I've had it for quite some time.
I hope you enjoyed my table this week. Your visits are always appreciated. Thanks to the hostesses too!
The Scoop
Marty's Inspire Me Tuesday
Maria Elena's Tuesdays at Our Home

Tuesday's Treasures
Kathy's A Return To Loveliness
Centerpiece Wed
Kathleen's Let's Dish
Paula's What's It Wed
Tablescape Thursday
Kathy's Home and Garden Thursday
Thursday Favorite Things

34 comments:

Vel Criste said...

Your Dining room is so elegant Christine! Love the Hinting theme on your table, gorgeous as always!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Beautiful semi-fall tablescape Christine, specially with the forever gorgeous Brown transferware plates and Richard's lovely tureen! I love all your subtle Fall touches. The orchids are so pretty too. Great minds think alike, I too have two chargers in my transfer setting. Big hugs,
FABBY

Sarah said...

Christine, your table is a lovely nod to the transition into fall. I like the use of double chargers to give more layers without covering the pretty transfer ware scene. Great idea! Your details are just perfect.

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

Gorgeous table Christine, totally stunning! I love (ok, you're getting my list) The deer napkin rings, wood orb, chargers, dishes...I can keep going! LOL

You did a wonderful table, as always!

Debbiedoos said...

Beautiful, Just beautiful Christine. I am going to have to show my Mom, she is a huge lover of all things birds. Your dishes are just gorgeous too!

Patty Rumaker said...

Love! I love everything and I also love how you mixed high end and low end items. I adore transferware and you have a wonderful collection.
Thanks, Patty at Home and Lifestyle Design

Unknown said...

Beautiful table I love the transfer ware and polka dots added just enough whimsy. Great job!
Sandy

Poppy @ With a Dash of Color said...

Beautiful Christine! You have done such a marvelous job....so festive and elegant, love it! The deer napkin ring is so adorable and a perfect accent for this fallish tablescape and I love brown transfer ware plates! Thanks for sharing such an inspiring tablescape! hugs, Poppy

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

I always enjoy your tablescapes Christine. You coordinate everything beautifully to make guests feel welcome.

Blondie's Journal said...

This is stunning, Christine! You have a nice fall feeling here without all the orange. I love your dishes but your centerpiece is what really catches my eye. Each piece is so interesting and lovely, you could spend the whole meal having a conversation about them! Just lovely!

XO,
Janie

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi Christine: Your dining room is breathe taking. I love the theme on your table. It is so classic and just stunning. Thank you for this week's eye candy. Blessings, Martha

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Beautiful Christine!

Debbie said...

I know I've told you this before, Christine, but you have one of the most gorgeous dining rooms in blog land. I just love the elegance of it, and that table fits it like a glove. Just so beautiful, and just so "you".

Diane said...

Christine - I am totally blown away by this table. The colors are my favorites and you always set you tables with the most interesting pieces! That hunt centerpiece and the vase with the heads on it are just incredible! Love everything, especially the placemats and brown transferware. Everything is just gorgeous!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Your tables are always amazing and this one is totally a masterpiece. I love it. Gorgeous. Thanks so much for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Poppy said...

Hi Christine,

Wow! You put so much thought and planning into this beautiful cozy and inviting tablescape! Love all your rich, fall colours and especially the polka dot place mats and the butterfly napkin rings - so cheery!

Poppy

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Christine, I've never seen a Johnson Bros plate I didn't love, and these are no exception. They are beautiful, and your colors and accessories on the table coordinate with them so well. Your live orchid is gorgeous, and oh how I love that hunt figure. Stunning. laurie

Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest said...

Beautiful table, Christine! The tureen is just beautiful!! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my hydrangeas post! ~Zuni

Creations By Cindy said...

Just love all your stuff girl! I will take those little deer on the table thank you! LOL! Beautiful as always! You have such talent. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

La Vie Quotidienne said...

This is such an elegant room ~ beautiful!

Jocelyn said...

So lovely. A wonderful transition.

Jocelyn @ http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

So gorgeous...I love all of your details. Those plates are amazing.

Savannah Granny said...

Christine, Your table is lovely. What a great way to ease into Fall.I love each and every element. The double chargers are perfect and that dinnerware is so beautiful. Can't wait to see the Thanksgiving china.
Have a great week, Ginger

Jacqueline said...

How unusual to find brown polka dots! The table is so pretty and unique. I can't get pumpkins out yet either. It is still pretty here! Hope all is well.

Entertaining Women said...

So many treasures put to good use for your beautiful tablescape. I was particularly enchanted by the hunt tankards....amazing pieces. Thanks for inviting us for a peak. Cherry Kay

Red Couch Recipes said...

Such a beautiful fall table. I love the transferware plates and all the touches to the table. Spode Woodland is such a pretty flatware pattern. Love the tureen too. Joni

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Christine, your historical transferware is so pretty and I love it on the polka dot placemats. The soup tureen makes a great centerpiece with the orchids. I thought the real one was the fake!

Unknown said...

Wow what beautiful tableware you have collected!
I also prefer ti mix and match rather than buying a full set. I love the transition from Summer to Autumn, getting out the burnt orange and browns, rustic dried wooden balls :) Im getting excited now to reoganise the house!
I'm visiting from http://katherinescorner.com/2013/09/11/thursday-favorite-things-blog-hop-105/

Hope to see you stop by soon: http://julshiddengems.blogspot.ie/2013/09/my-favourite-friday-online-finds_13.html

Juls x

Candy S said...

Christine, The Johnson Brothers brown transferware is lovely. Their Historic America Series is gorgeous. I bought some a couple of years back. Everything on your table is just perfect.

Beeutiful by Design said...

Christine it is so wonderful! I love the mix of high and low and the figurine is to die for! I love the Johnson Bros transfer ware, I bet you get a lot of use out of it in the fall.

Kathy said...

Hello Christine - your tablescape is amazing - LOVE your transferware collection - I will be featuring your post in this week's A Return to Loveliness, I appreciate you sharing,
Kathy

Kathy said...

You have such a marvelous collection of dishes and a flair for tablescapes and decor! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Katherines Corner said...

Wow it is so beautiful, it cries out welcome Autumn. Temps here are hot too. Thank you for sharing at the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop xo

hidden art of homemaking said...

Hey Christine. i don't know how I missed this tablescape...glad I found it today. These plates are some of my all time favorites. I have some that i can't wait to use this fall...Your table is beautiful and I love the way you used the polka dots placemats...very good looking..your whole table is like a wonderland...
Love, Mona

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday