Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Trier City, Germany, 2013 Trip

Our first excursion in Germany was to visit Trier City, Germany's oldest city. These well preserved ruins are are some of the evidence that Romans had a major presence in Germany. Below shows the Roman Imperial baths (Kaiserthermen) built in the 4th century A.D.JPG
 

 Not too far from the Imperial baths is the Constantine Basilica. It is a Roman  palace  basilica  that was built by the emperor Constantine at the beginning of the 4th century.  Today it is owned and used as church by a congregation within the  Evangelical Church in the Rhineland. It was used as a residence of the bishop in the middle ages.


 We were all freezing while walking around. It was in the low 30's but temp. got a little better  as the day went by.

 Right behind the Constantine Basilica, the electoral palace was built. It is still used now as an administrative building.

Look at the gorgeous details of the front of the building.
 After walking and listening to the tour guide tell us about the basilica and palace, we walked towards where the Bishop's Cathedral is. The Cathedral of St. Peter is a Roman Catholic church  and with its dimensions of 112.5 by 41 m, makes it the largest church structure in Trier. It is also the oldest cathedral in the country.


 
This Cathedral is huge! It was very hard to capture it in one piece.


 You can tell the Cathedral is Catholic from the roosters on top of the church and on this gate handle.





 
Very close to the cathedral is a very nice and interesting shopping plaza, probably my favorite (in addition to Rothenberg, which will be in another post) I love the atmosphere, a mixture of old world and new.

The Euro shop below is similar to our Dollar Store. But what is interesting about this Euro shop is that it was Karl Marx's birth place.
The stores and streets were all decked out for Christmas.
 My favorite store was Villeroy and Boch. I really enjoyed browsing throughout the whole store.

This is what I bought from the Villeroy and Boch store. The pattern name is "Audun Ferme" I really like the pastoral scene design. I would have loved to buy more pieces but we were very limited in luggage space. I have checked Ebay for more pieces but they are very expensive.

At the end of the shopping plaza is this ancient medieval structure called Porta Nigra which was built between 160-180 A.D of grey sandstone. The Porta Nigra guarded the northern entry to the Roman city. It is now the largest Roman gate north of the Alps. Considering its age, it is still in an amazing remarkable condition.
 


I hope you enjoyed another virtual tour with me. Thank you so much for coming along. I appreciate the hostesses of the memes I am linking with.
 
Susan's Outdoor Wed

Oh the Places I've Been
Gemma's Scenic Weekend

14 comments:

Jojo said...

Two Christmases ago I made a solo trip to Trier and loved it. It was my first time to travel alone and I had so much fun! Germany is the most beautiful place in the world at Christmastime. Loved your photos. Stay warm!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

What a fabulous, fun trip! You go to the coolest places,

xo

Sheila

All The Pretty Dishes said...

Thanks for sharing your amazing trip. I really enjoyed your photos

Lady of the Manor said...

What a wonderful (if not chilly!) trip!! I love the tea set you bought! Can't wait to read about your trip to Rothenberg.

Beth said...

My, the architecture in Europe is so amazing! The ruins are lovely and remind me of the castle in Heidelberg, Germany. The cathedral is stunning. I can understand why you would like Villeroy and Boch; that store is so you! Love the teaset you bought. I enjoyed seeing Trier through your eyes!

Creations By Cindy said...

Beautiful pictures and what a lot of fun~ Feel like I was there looking at your pictures. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What beautiful images, Christine, and so perfect to be there when the Christmas decorations are up. Oh, I love those pieces you bought. They are gorgeous. laurie

Vel Criste said...

Love all your photos and jealous of the beautiful set your brought home from your trip! Can't wait to see it on your table!

Ileana said...

Beautiful place! I remember Porta Negri and Roman Imperial baths .I have visited Trier twoo yers agoo! Your photos remind me my trip!

Gemma Wiseman said...

Trier is stamped with so much character. Like wandering and watching a long history unfold through the ages here. Fascinating buildings.

Alycia Nichols said...

Leave it to you to find the German equivalent to the American Dollar Store!!!!! :-) That is hilarious! I love it! Of course, you were able to seek and find lots of good shopping haunts during your visit. Way to go!

I guess you really never know just how beautiful/different/similar other places in this world are unless & until you have a chance to see them up close and personal. To visit Germany is something super special. The country of Beethoven and Bach, it's something really wonderful to explore, I'm sure!

What a wonderful trip!!!

Michele {Malaysian Meanders} said...

It looks so cold in Trier. Does a rooster signify that a cathedral is Catholic outside of Trier or Germany or is that a local symbol? I also find it very interesting that Karl Marx's birthplace is now a Euro Shop. There must be some significance in that.

Unknown said...

Beautiful! Looks like an amazing place to visit.

Suz said...

Beautiful montage of all the old buildings.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday