Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Baby Shower Preparations

 
John asked me if it was ok for me to host a baby shower for his phlebotomist. We have been wanting to invite his employees at home but always worry about being able to control the kids since we don't really know them. I also worry that they might jump in the pool without any of us watching. Our house is not kid proof and even when our grandkids visit, we have to put breakable stuff out of reach and I did not want to do that if I can avoid it. I thought a baby shower would be ideal cause then, we can tell them that we will only have the women, which is customary. We will only have 3 males, John, his sono tech and the celebrant's hubby.
 
I am not used to hosting baby showers, this will be the first time for me. I have always been a co host for daughters' baby showers but the other daughter always did most of the work. I mostly just helped in funding and decorating. So, I started planning early. I created the party favors below. Is it obvious, she is having a baby boy?
 I thought I would use Polish pottery since they are mostly blue and I have a lot I can use. The party will be this Saturday, from 3 to 6 so I decided to do a tea party outside, if the weather cooperates. I like to be organized so I already took out most of what I will use.
 I am only using dessert and salad plates since we are only having sweets and oer d'oeuvres, being a tea party. One of the plate sets below is not Polish pottery. Can you guess which one?
They are the blue, white and yellow ones and they are made out of thick melamine. I bought them on clearance from Sur La Table for $1.99 each. I bought them because I thought they will blend well with my pottery and would be perfect for outdoor parties. All the rests are Polish pottery.
 I bought candies wrapped in blue baby wraps and placed them in this compote.

 I wanted to use cups with predominantly blue. I have enough Polish pottery to use but most of them are mugs and I wanted to use smaller teacups too so I mixed these with them.
 I bought these yellow candles from Marshall's also and I plan to spread them around the table.
 I am using 5 types of pots and serving 4 kinds of teas (Peach melba, Ginger beer, mango/lychee and Damson plum teas and a hazelnut coffee for the coffee drinkers. I am using English instant tea from Whittard of Chelsea, my favorite brand.
 
The labels help me organize. They remind me of what I still need to prepare and helps the guests identify what I am serving.
 I am going to be making Filipino egg rolls and Thai shrimp and chicken toasts and will arrange them in these  ruffled dish. The sauce will go in those ice cream servers in the center. These ruffled dish are some of my favorites among my Polish pottery collection. One is on a pedestal.
 I am using the pewter colored tiered server for cupcakes and cookies. My friend Debjani gave it to me one Christmas and I love it! Thanks, Deb!
 
I found the glass sugar packet holders below from Marshall's last weekend.  They were $1.99 each.

 The coffee will go in the pot on the right and the peach melba tea in the left pot.
 The Damson Plum tea will go in here.
 I thought I would put the Ginger beer tea in the bigger pot and the mango lychee tea in the left pot.
 I am still making some decorations and started baking yesterday. I will start decorating on Friday and will take everything out on Saturday morning. I already baked "Foods for the Gods", coconut pecan and oatmeal raisin cookies yesterday and froze them. I am making the eggrolls today and freezing them too to be ready for frying on Saturday. Two of John's employees offered to come an hour earlier to help me set up and I also asked 3 of my friends to come in the morning to help me.
 
I am excited but I have so much to do since I am preparing everything, shopping, baking and cooking everything. I really want this to be a success and I want everybody to have a good time.

Wish me luck!
 
Thanks for allowing me to share my preparations with you.
I appreciate the hostesses very much too.
Maria Elena's Tuesdays at Our Home
Paula's What's It Wed
Kathleen's Let's Dish
Kathy's Home and Garden Thursday
Tablescape Thursday
Kathryn's Anything Blue Friday
Sally's Blue Monday
Kathy's A Return To Loveliness
Sandi's Teatime Tues
FriendsSharing Tea
Martha and Terri's Teacup Tues

44 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be a beautiful shower,Christine. I have no doubt about it!

Bernideen said...

This shower is going to be a smashing success and a lifetime memory!! Beautiful! So glad you shared at Friends Sharing Tea Christine!

Terra said...

Christine, your collection of Polish china is spectacular, and I just know you are a warm hostess. Labels for the tea, cute candies, it all looks inviting.

Barbara F. said...

Oh Christine, you and your hubby are so sweet and kind to do this for his employee. She is a lucky girl, and no doubt does a great job with the patients. Your Polish pottery collection is fabulous. Your hors d'oeurves sound delicious. When you have time, can you post recipes? I worked for a Filipina woman years ago. She and her mom made the most incredible chicken (adobo) and tiny egg rolls filled with shrimp and pork. Also bibingkas (sp?). This post brought back happy memories. xo

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Sounds and looks like you are well organized and the food and drink sounds delish. It will be a big success!
I can certainly understand your concern about the children.

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Christine I know you'll do a fabulous job!! Everything looks great already...I love your collection of Polish Pottery!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

For a first time it looks like it's going to be amazing Chris! I'm like you with blue for boys. When my nephew comes from College to visit I take out the blue and White German dishes, and I also hosted a boy's baby shower with these too. Now I have everything in the blue transferware, as I couldn't wait and got all that came from Europe's last container, lol! Your Polish pottery is simply gorgeous...I adore the teapots, the tiers, the pedestal, ok everything! Hugs,
FABBY

Vel Criste said...

for a 1st time shower host your doing an amazing job Christine! I be this will be awesome and the mom super grateful for sure! Good luck!

Diane said...

What a lucky mom-to-be to receive such special attention for this happy occasion. It was so much fun to see all of your beautiful dishes. Many happy wishes go out to the honoree - you are so sweet to go to all of this trouble for her!!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Someone is truly blessed to have you host this party for them! I wish I was there to come. What a fun menu and fun dishes, Christine!

I have finally gotten back to blogging, but I have a broken hand. So will see how it goes. I had to do a post to honor my MIL who died, and then I think I am back to my fun posts, provided my hand does well.

Love you,

Sheila

Candy S said...

Oh my goodness! That is a huge collection of polish pottery. And it is so beautiful too. I am sure the baby shower will be a great success with you taking care of all the details.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Christine, with you hosting it, there is no doubt that it will be a huge success. What cute tags for the favor bags. You have such a beautiful collection of Polish pottery. It looks like you have it all under control. laurie

Tammy @ A Walk in the Countryside said...

It's going to be lovely! I love your collection of china!

Lulu said...

From what I've seen you do, any party you give is going to be done just right.

Linda (More Fun Less Laundry) said...

You have a wonderful collection of blue pottery--perfect for a baby boy shower! It looks like so much work but I'm sure all the guests will appreciate your effort and the delicious goodies. Linda

The Tablescaper said...

You look in wonderful shape! So prepared. I'm sure the party will be magnificent. It's so fun to pull out all of your treasures.I too love to label, label, label. It helps me stay organized.

- The Tablescaper

Marigene said...

What...another of your famous parties that I didn't get an invitation to!
Your collection of Polish pottery amazes me.
Have a wonderful week, Christine...

Beeutiful by Design said...

Everything looks great! I would love to come just to see all your wonderful dishes!!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful table and shower! I love your Polish pottery...just stunning.

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

I am sure your baby shower will turn out fine. It all looks fabulous already!

Ricki Treleaven said...

Wow, you have some wonderful lovelies to host a baby shower for a boy! I love the idea of using the Polish pottery. I discovered Polish Pottery in COlumbus, GA las summer, and I have only a few pieces, but I love it!

You and your sweet hubbie are so thoughtful. I know the parents to be are so appreciative of your efforts!

Thanks for linking-up to My Happy List!

xo,
RJ

Phyllis @Around the House said...

You always have the most sensational parties, they are always so fun and original and I love the fact that you share the whole thing with us...Phyllis

Christine @ Rustic-Refined said...

I'd have another baby just so you could give me a baby shower! lol

Too cute!

Ivy and Elephants said...

Sounds like you are all set. It can't help but be a beautiful affair! Make sure to tell us all about it, (especially the food!)
Hugs,
Patti

kitty@ Kitty's Kozy Kitchen said...

Oh Christine, what a dear you are to be such a wonderful hostess for the baby shower. Everything looks so pretty and you're so organized. The food sounds wonderful and so do all the teas and coffee. I'm sure the couple is so grateful to be so loved.

Lady of the Manor said...

Your plans are well made and will make for a wonderful time for all!! Don't forget to have some fun yourself!

Lady Linda said...

Oh how fun! Your guest will be delighted. I love all your attention to detail. I
How fun.
Linda

Chubby Chieque said...

Being a bloggie friend Ate Xine, NO doubt about your knowledge on tables and dishes LoL*

Very charming, indeed. Lucky girl, she have you.

More Power to the most Gorgeous lady in my Blogielandia.

Big hugs to both of you.
/Chie

Little Wandering Wren said...

Christine

Love the first line of your post - had to confess I learned a new word!
What an amazing Baby Shower I love to see all your preparations and I am extremely grateful in all this you took time out to visit my blog.
I hope the Baby Shower goes well, I know it will with all your immaculate and exquisite planning
Wrenx

Rosie M. said...

Oh, Christine, your polish pottery collection is extraordinary!! Wherever did you find those ruffled dishes?! The shower will be a big success, I'm sure. You've worked sooo hard and everything looks beautiful. Have a good time. Rosie

Entertaining Women said...

Looks like you're well organized for your baby shower. When I do a large party outside with friends who are going to help me set up, I try to organize each table's worth of stuff in the house, so each of my helpers will know exactly what goes on each table. It makes the day of go much smoother. I'll be excited to see you pictures of the party. Have a great time! Cherry Kay

bj said...

Oh, my goodness...this is going to be an awesome shower...such beautiful serving pieces.
It looks like you are way ahead of the game by all your early preps.
It's going to be a great shower..hope you can get a few photos. :)
xoxo

SmilingSally said...

You are an organized person, Christine,and I have no doubt that this will be a fantastic success.

I know about the Villeroy and Boch matching dinnerware, but my cupboards are full.

Thanks for playing.

Happy Blue Monday!

Anonymous said...

Lots of blue photos of your 'special event' ~ Wonderful for HBM ~ carol ^_^

Linda Kunsman said...

here from Blue Mon. Ooh la la!!!! I adore your party favors but that gorgeous pottery and dishes and settings -wow!!

Sandi@ Rose Chintz Cottage said...

Christine, I know the shower will be a huge success because you do it up right. You are a fabulous hostess! I love your blue and white teacups stacked; so pretty! What a lovely shower it's going to be and the food sounds wonderful. Thank you for sharing and coming to tea.

Blessings,
Sandi

Heirloom treasures said...

Christine,you have such a beautiful collection of pottery. I so love the blue and white teacups and saucers,but the rest is so nice too. Hope all goes well. It will I'm sure.
visiting from Artful Affirmations :)

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Everything is absolutely gorgeous Christine. What a fabulous shower. Thanks tons for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

Kathy said...

Hello Christine, You are certainly a marvelous hostess - you did an amazing job with this shower - lovely your collection! I will be featuring your post in this week's Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Beth said...

What a marvelous baby shower! Love your Polish pottery and also your blue and white transferware cups. This past wknd we were travelling and I saw Polish pottery in a store window. I am always reminded of you when I see it.

Martha's Favorites said...

Christine: You are amazing. Blessings, Martha

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Christine, your pottery is gorgeous!!!! Thank you for sharing. You will be one of the features tomorrow at the Anything Blue and Pink Friday party at The Dedicated House. Hope to see you again at the little Blue and Pink soiree! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Kathleen said...

It will be/was fabulous! You have put a lot of effort into it! I have hosted more than I can count, but the older I get, the earlier I have to start to get it all done!
Share pics!

Terri said...

OH it looks fabulous! You are incredible Christine. Really. I am sure the mother to be must be thrilled, and all the guests too!
You work so hard and put so much thought in your parties.
Hugs,
Terri

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday