Monday, March 17, 2014

Wurzburg Residenz Palace in Germany

After Rothenburg, the tour bus took us to tour the Residenz Palace in Wurzburg, southern Germany, which was used as the residence of the Prince-Bishops until the early 18th century.

The palace is so impressive, so grand and so long.



 
It has a gorgeous Franconian Fountain in front where John and I posed for a photo.

We were not allowed to take pictures inside the building so I copied this from Wikepedia. It is the grand staircase which is part of the formal reception room. A Venetian painter Giovanni Battista Tiepolo decorated the vault with a fresco, showing paintings of the four continents: Europe, America, Asia and Africa in 1750-1753. The painting on the vault and all the baroque intricate work are so stunning, this picture does not do them any justice at all.

Sorry, I could not show you any other interior pictures. As I said earlier, we were not allowed to take pictures inside, which is too bad because the interior is stunning.
Thanks for stopping by. I appreciate your comments.
Thanks also to the hostesses. I am linking with
 
Travel Tuesday
The Tablescaper's Oh The Places I've Been
 

15 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Amazing! This is gorgeous.

xo

Sheila

Manhattan Image and Style said...

Beautiful pictures! What an amazing place!


Diana
www.ManhattanImageandStyle.com / www.MISBoutique.storenvy.com
New Blog post: [Inspiration] 7 Steps to Conquer Your Closet This Spring
Previews Blog Post: [Outfit Idea] Craving Spring

Nicole ~ said...

What beautiful pictures, I bet that was an amazing trip!

Nicole

Creations By Cindy said...

WOW! The pictures are beautiful! You go to the most amazing places. What a blessing to travel and see so much. Hugs and blessings, Cindy

Vel Criste said...

I've never been inside any palace before, I'm sure glad you gave us this tour!

Debbiedoos said...

Looks like a dream Christine. I want to go to Germany so bad. We have good friends that live there and it is on our bucket list.

Sue said...

Ooo...I love seeing places that I will never see in person. This is amazing and it must have been so beautiful inside. How fun and interesting for you!

Michelle (Confessed Travelholic) said...

I have a friend from Würzburg and visited her there last year! Such a cute little place and the residence is really pretty!

Michele {Malaysian Meanders} said...

Wurzburg looks both beautiful and impressive. Your trip is sounding like a good one.

Vulpita Calatoare said...

I dared to take a lot of pictures inside.
There, on the ceiling over the big staircase, is the largest mural in the world.
I posted pictures here:

http://vulpitacalatoare.blogspot.ca/2012/04/rezidenta-din-wurzburg-wurzburger.html

The Tablescaper said...

What an amazing staircase!

So happy you were a part of "Oh, the PLACES I've been!"

- Alma, The Tablescaper

Jessica @ Independent Travel Cats said...

Glad you enjoyed your visit. We visited the Würzburg Residence last year and enjoyed the visit although not quite as much as some of the other German palaces we visited. Yes, not being able to take pictures in many of the German castles and palaces is a drag:(

Unknown said...

Love the palaces in Europe, and the Wurzburg palace looks like a must see place in Germany. Thank you for linking up for Travel Tuesday!

Unknown said...

I think that the fact that you weren't allowed to take photos of the inside is quite a good thing for us, because now we will have to discover Wurzburg Residenz Palace by ourselves. I think this will be a more interesting experience that seeing some pictures of it online. Thanks for sharing anyway!

konshoe said...

I am glad that I am not the only one impressed with it... I have my own experience here as well! :)

Drafts From My Coffee Table - Würzburg Residenz

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday