Sunday, June 14, 2009

AJ and Her Bunnies and My Raised Veggie Garden


This was originally posted on 3/24/09 for Wordless Wednesday" I thought I would repost it so I can tell you more about it since I am allowed to talk now that it is "Sunday Favorites", hosted by charming Chari at http://happytodesign.blogspot.com/. Let's all visit her and and everyone on her "oldies but goodies" participant list.


When I still lived in Florida, I always would go to the back porch to enjoy the view every morning. One morning I did just that and I saw what I thought was a mice on the floor and I screamed at the top of my voice. My nephew, who lived with me then, ran to my rescue and looked and told me that the mice looked wierd cause it had no tail and it had big ears. Then we looked in the rabbit cage and saw 3 more in there and realized that the bunny had babies and one had fallen from the cage. The bunnies belong to AJ but her mom is allergic to them so I kept them in my back porch.
I could not believe how much the bunnies grew every single day and AJ would run to the porch to pick them up everytime she came to the house. I used to take her to school everyday so her mom would drop her off to the house every morning.

AJ was so excited! You can always see it on her face.

She gave one a bath and wrapped her in a towel and then laid her on Calvin (my other daughter, Tina's dog) Calvin did not even move. I thought that was so cute so I grabbed my camera to take a shot.

My baby granddaughter with her baby bunny........ both not too little anymore.

Isn't that just the cutest smile?

I hope you enjoyed the pictures as I have.

For Outdoor Wednesday, I would like to show you our raised vegetable garden. We have 2 of them built side by side last year before AJ and her cousins stayed with us for summer vacation. We built them so we could add planting to one of the their activities.


Outdoor Wednesday is hosted by Susan at http://asoutherndaydreamer.blogspot.com/. Be sure to check her outdoor post and then go check everybody on her list of participants.

Last year, the kids did the planting with our help but we did the harvesting because the kids went home before the crops were ready to be picked. I emailed them pictures just so they could see the results of their work. But this year, I did all the planting by myself. The rosemarie, parsley, oregano and cilantro made it through winter so they the are the biggest that you see below.

I planted lots of tomatoes, different kinds of pepper, more cilantro, since we eat a lot of salsa, strawberries, chives, lettuce, basil and spinach. I planted the tomatoes too early cause I could not wait and then we had 2 freezing temp at night. The tomatoes dried up and I thought I lost them. But lo and behold, they started coming out again so I am a happy camper!



In a few weeks, I will be able to post this garden on Met Monday. Hopefully by then, we can start harvesting some crops, although we have been harvesting cilantro, parsley, oregano and rosemarie all year long.

Thanks again for your wonderful visit. I always enjoy having you around. Will you join me in visiting the other Wed. events participants?


Thanks to Dixie and Susan for making all these possible.


Thanks for looking at these again. I hope you don't get tired visiting and thanks to Chari for allowing us to show them again!

55 comments:

Martha said...

Love the bunnies -- the raised beds are a great idea. Easy to get too.

Anonymous said...

Oh how sweet the bunnies and the little one holding them is! The raised beds are quite impressive! happy O.W. to you Christine!!

Lisa @ Fern Creek Cottage said...

Oh, I love those bunnies!!!!

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Christine! What cute little bunnies!!! Adn I love your raised beds...a good idea. I hate bending over to do weeding! Hope you are having a great week...hugs...Debbie

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Christine, AJ is just so cute and her bunnies are just precious. I love her wonderful smile as she holds them. So cute. Also your garden looks wonderful. You are going to have quite a harvest really soon. Great salads, and the lettuce always tastes so much better from the yard. Enjoy! Hugs, Marty

momma said...

love those baby bunny pictures!

Anonymous said...

Bet those bunnies are "eyeing" the tender little green plants in the raised gardens! :) Happy WW! Dana

Susan @ A Southern Daydreamer said...

Happy Outdoor Wednesday Christine! Love the bunnies...and the raised gardens....how do you keep the bunnies out? Thanks for sharing your photos.~ Susan

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Christine I love those bunnies...they are just darling girl..and how great is your veggies garden I so remember when you did this last year...hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Kathy said...

Oh, my gosh, those babies are so precious! Your raised garden is so pretty! Post it again in a couple of months - I bet it will be beautiful!
Kathy

Anonymous said...

Aaawwww the ballerina with the bunnies. Love them in the platter :-)

I like the thought of harvesting your won food. It must have been a delight to see your vegetables grow and some bear fruits.

Happy Outdoor Wednesday!

Nancy said...

Just adorable - the bunnies and your girl! Love your fabulous raised garden. :)Nancy

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

so cute, and your little one is precious,

Four Paws and Co said...

Fantastic pictures Christine! The babies are too precious! Does your family raise them or were they adopted when they were tiny? My son has a dwarf Netherland bunny who is very fat & too big to be a dwarf! ☺

Love the raised veggie beds. Great idea! ☺

fitty's pinky rose cottage said...

aww look at the bunnies.. super cute and so is your lil girl!

Happy WW Christine

Kat said...

What cute pictures! Those bunnies are adorable, but not half as cute as your grandbaby! And I love your vegetable gardens, I'll stop by in a few weeks for a nice fresh salad lol! Kathy

Jill said...

THE BUNNIES! They are so cute! Love the pics!!!!!!!!!!! Happy WW Christine! :)

Candy said...

Two, Too sweet little bunnies. But be sure to keep them out of Mr. McGregor's garden. (remember Peter Rabbit?)
Hoppy Day, Candy

ClassyChassy said...

Darling bunnies, and nice garden - raise up some lettuce to feed the little ones!

Dixie said...

Christine... I think you're going to have to do a follow up post tomorrow to tell us all the bunny story... beautiful...

Great idea to get the kiddos to help with the garden planting. I know they enjoyed it!

Our grandkiddos are coming in June, and I've already told them we'll be working in the garden every morning... right now they're excited about it... we'll see... hehehehehe....

have a blessed Wednesday... Dixie

Deb said...

the bunnies are just adorable! who couldn't love a sweet little bunny!
your gardens look great

Chandy said...

Soooo cute! That goes for the bunnies, too! :-)

You have a lovely garden, I love raised beds. And thank goodness for "statewide" gaps between your garden and those "nibblers", lol!

Happy Wednesday!

Amy said...

Such adorabel bunnies. Good luck with your raised beds. Nothing beats fresh veggies from your own garden.

amy@maisonbelle

Anonymous said...

Those darling little rabbits.How precious.I saw one teeny little foot.Were they just born?I want to know the story,ha.and the raised beds are great,especially for herbs...Ann

Leah said...

Adorable bunnies. I'll have to show my daughter. She wants a pet bunny so badly! :)

Linda C said...

You have your own Easter bunnies!!

I found that bunnies and MY garden didn't mix too well - for ME getting to eat the veggies that is:)

Happy WW!

Linda C

DesignTies said...

You're so lucky to be able to harvest herbs from your garden year-round. Fresh from the garden is always better than bought from the store!!

The bunny pics are so cute -- especially the pic of the two bunnies in the dish :-)

Kelly @ DesignTies

Marie said...

Christine- Everytime I click on your blog, your header makes me smile...I really adore your courtyard! Your grand daughter has the cutest smile and I'm sure she's loving the bunnies.
-marie

Sugarplum Garters said...

the bunnies are adorable! thanks for sharing the pictures ~ they sure brought a smile to my face this morning!

Nancy said...

Beautiful gardens, so glad your tomatoes came back.

Judanna said...

Thanks for visiting my blog.
I enjoy visiting with you, great post. Judanna

Susan @ The Good Life! said...

The baby bunnies are cute! Who's are they? Love your garden! We still can't plant anything. Might get snow this weekend!

SmilingSally said...

Ah, the cute bunnies.

Melissa Miller said...

Oh my goodness you can't get much cuter than baby bunnies!

~Precious Christine!

Love your raised veggie garden. They look really pretty like that.

Happy OW! :)

Jadehollow said...

The babies are just too precious as is AJ holding them. Can't wait to see your progress on Met Monday.
Thanks for sharing.
Debbie

Anonymous said...

My mouth is watering for some summer home grown tomatoes. Happy gardening.

Kathy b

Bo said...

Hi Christine...your WW photos are so cute! and what a splendid idea doing raised veggie gardening...
I'm glad your tomatoes came back...they must love their bed! LOL ;- Bo

Justine said...

OMG, she had the bunnies from when they were just babies? How cute! Where does she keep them? Are they outdoor, or indoor bunnies? I want one!
And your veggie gardens look wonderful! It's so hard to have one here in FL, with the intense heat, the bugs, the critters, etc.

Justine :o )

sunnymama said...

The bunny pictures are adorable and the raised beds look great!

Sue said...

These are the cutest bunnies and there is a little sweet one holding them too. I simply love raised beds they are so much easier to manage. thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Oh Christine
I adore bunnies. We rescue them also. How adorable. Always nice to have a couple for company.
As for your garden do the bunnies like all those great veggies?? LOL
Happy WW and OW
Love Claudie
xoxo

Light and Voices said...

Such a good idea to build a raised garden. I think those bunnies are just too cute for words.
Joyce

Charlene said...

Your vegetable garden looks great! You will be so happy when you have all this & don't have to go to the store & buy all this. And yours is organic! Or at least close to it.

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

AWWWW, those pictures of AJ and the bunnies just melted my heart! So precious. Her love for the bunnies just shines on her face. Oh, I wish I lived close enough to come nab some of your pretty vegetables-especially some fresh tomatoes. I do hope the deer continue to stay away from your garden. It looks like a lot of work went into these beds. laurie

Tomarie said...

Awwwww...the bunnies are adorable...but AJ looks so CUTE!! :-) L~

Kathy's Red Door Welcome said...

I'm a sucker for cute little bunnies. Your granddaughter is adorable. What a fabulous garden, how fortunate you are!

Cass @ That Old House said...

Oh my gosh, is anything as cute as those bunnies? I just called my husband over to the computer to see them, and even HE went, "Awwww..."

Thanks for the big smile!
Cass

Keetha Broyles said...

Ooooooo, Ouuuuuuuu, ahhhhhhhh - - - those baby bunnies are way past cute, and so is AJ

Sue said...

Oh, how precious those little bunnies and AJ are. Cracked me up- a mouse w/no tail and big ears...LOL
What a smart idea for raised beds- really raised so you don't have to bend down. Simply ingenious. Sue

Melissa Miller said...

I remember this precious story Christine! Too cute!

Thanks for visiting and your kind words. I always appreciate your visits.

Have a wonderful evening.
~Melissa ;)

Tara said...

What sweet pictures of your Granddaughter. The bunny is adorable too. The garden looks yummy. Does the bunny get any greens and carrots for treats!

Chandy said...

I remember this post, Christine and glad you reposted. The bunnies are so cute! And AJ outshone them. ;-) Your veggie garden I bet is now just weighed down with goodies, huh?

Dixie said...

i am still amazed that you guys raised those bunnies!

Lori E said...

Your grand daughter is so sweet. The bunnies too of course.
Good thing the raised beds are so high or they would be bunny food.

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Mornin' Girlfriend...

Ahhh...I remember this post with sweet little AJ and those darling bunnies! Those photos are just precious! Does AJ still have the bunnies? Just curious. Hehe!

I was showing your raised vegetables planters to Russell last night...he's talked about doing this at our place! They sure are nice! What kind of soil did you use in yours? We were going to put in a garden for this summer and then got so busy about planting time with getting the rental house going...we just ran out of time and energy! So maybe next year!

Well Darlin'...so happy that you joined in with Sunday Favorites this week! Great post...I loved seeing those bunnies again...and can you believe how much AJ has grown...OMG!!! Have a wonderful week, my friend!

Love ya,
Chari

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday