Thursday, June 4, 2009

Cassava Bibingka, A Filipino Specialty and Our Home Office

Kelly of http://www.kellyskornerblog.com/is sponsoring "Show Us Where You Live Friday" and the theme this week is Office. Get some inspirations and let's all visit Kelly and all her participants.
I am also participating in Foodie Friday so stick around after this post.
Since I don't go to work, I will have to show you our home office. This is what you see as you enter from the hall. A settee sitting by the sliding doors and then an Asian file cabinets with shelves greet you.
The home office leads to the master bedroom, which is very convenient since I log on my computer soon after waking up. This room also serves as a showcase to my hubby's egg collection. Notice the framed 3 eggs on the wall? I gave that to him last Christmas. You can enlarge to see more details.
Let me just take you around the walls and corners. This is John's side of the desk.
We bought the wall unit from Ashley Furniture. It's perfect for us cause as you can see, we are computer nuts and it has a return in between our individual desks, which we can share for our laptops. Between hubby and me, we have 1 desktop and 4 laptops. It also has ample storage for our paperwork and files.
It has a shelf to hold a TV so I can watch news while blogging.


This is my side of the desk. I am the one using the desktop cause I am a heavy user and I need a super fast one and a big screen.

John and I both like the look of alligator skin so when we saw this chair at Miskelly's, a big furniture store in Jackson, MS, we wanted to buy 2 right away but they only had one in stock so we went to a local store and ordered 2. They are also distributed by Ashley. I especially like these chairs because they have no arm rest. I put both feet up when I am blogging or surfing the web and arm rests just get in the way and pinch my thighs.
I really love my chair, so comfy!
We have a lateral file cabinet in that wall, which matches the Asian tall cabinet. See the Sevres eggs on top of the wall units?
On top of the cabinet are some of John's egg collection and some Chinese figures.
And here you see the exit to the hall, which we transformed to a library.
I used to enjoy this view from the office.
But since we are building a pool, this is the view now. I know eventually, the view will look better.
Thank you so much for coming. I hope you enjoyed the tour to our home office.
Here's a little announcement in between here. I am only 2 posts away from my 100th post. I have gathered some stuff to give away, so be prepared to leave comments on my 100th post. You get an entry for every comment. But I will add an additional thing to the rule. If you participate this Saturday for Sightseeing Sat, I will add 3 more additional entries for you. Chandy, are you listening? You can post any sceneries or travel pictures and it does not have to be out of the country, it's all up to you. If you plan to participate, just leave me a comment by tomorrow night and tell me so I can add your link on Sat. I do not have a Mr. Linky set up.
Just to name a few of what I am giving away: a set of 4 black ruffly placemats, a set of 4 ceramic teapot napkin rings, a tablecloth with 6 napkins I bought from Grand Cayman (trust me, it's really pretty!) and some other items.
Now back to Foodie Friday!

Today is also Foodie Friday, hosted by Gollum at http://designsbygollum.blogspot.com/. I don't really like cooking but since I baked something yesterday, I decided to participate and share what I made.
This is a Filipino dessert called Cassava Bibingka. Cassava is a starchy root also know as yucca.
Here are the ingredients: 2 bags grated cassava, 2 cans coconut milk, 1 stick melted butter, 2/3 cup condensed milk, 1 egg, 1/3 cup sugar, 2 tsps. vanilla
A jar of macapuno and 1/2 cup condensed milk for topping.
I buy the frozen grated Cassava from Asian grocery stores.

Preheat oven at 350 degrees. Mix the first 7 ingredients above and pour into a 9 x 12 greased baking pan. I used 3 smaller ones because I wanted to give away 2 of them.
Bake for about 1 hr, 15 min. I baked mine for a little under an hr. because my pans were smaller.
While the batter is baking, mix a jar of macapuno (sweetened young coconut that you can buy in Asian food stores) and 1/2 cup of condensed milk.
Pour the mixture on top of the baked batter for another 20 min or until light brown in color.
Enjoy! This is one of my favorite Filipino sweets.
Thanks for joining me. Now let's go see Gollum and look at what everybody else is sharing.
Thanks Kelly and Gollum for hosting.

32 comments:

Tomarie said...

Christine, the meal looks scrumptous!!!!
NOW...your office is BEAUTIFUL!!! I love love the desk!! That warm brown tone if my favorite color of wood! And your accessories are all gorgeous! So glad to be able to "visualize" where you're at when we're chatting now! :-) Love ya! L~

Melissa Miller said...

Hi Christine, Yeah!
You are participating this week in the home office edition. Me too!
Remember when I told you we both have the same desk...LOL!

Your office is just beautifully decorated!
You have the extra large version of the desk and it looks so functional. We could use more room like that as well. Maybe we can add on to it later in our next house.

You are building pool?
How awesome! I can't wait to see the finished product. I know that will be a joy to your family.

Your dessert looks so delicious and yummy!
My post is up if you have time to come by...once again blogger didn't publish it on the dashboard. They have done that on my last three postings.

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

Hi Christine! Your office is wonderful! I couldn't keep my eyes off of those Sevres eggs! And you're getting a poolllhow much fun that will be this summer! Your dessert looks yummy, too. Have a great weekend...hugs...Debbie

Melissa Miller said...

Thanks Christine! ;)

I meant to tell you earlier how pretty your new blog dress is too!

Jill said...

Your office is amazing. That chair looks so comfy. Do you think you have enough computers?? LOL!

Lisa (aka) French said...

Your offfice is beautiful that's one room I wouldnt dare show have really done nothing to it..one day lol Hugs French;)

nikkicrumpet said...

I so love your home. It is gorgeous in every single room and corner. I don't think I've seen one room that doesn't make me drool. Your office is no exception. But PLEASE tell me it's not always that tidy and neat. Right now my desk has food crumbs, an empty Pepsi can..and various notebooks with notes and crap...oh and a bag of cheetos! I'll be sick if you keep yours that clean and spotless all the time! I love the view...and with a pool it will be even better! You must be so excited!

Anonymous said...

The food looks delicious!
Oh, and your office! How gorgeous! I love your desk - how it's made for your hubby and you! Your chair does look comfy! Oh and the unit itself - define! I want to come and live with you! The little bench in the hall way is too precious!
I just love coming to your beautiful home!
Be a sweetie,
shelia :0

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

I loved seeing your office again. It is so pretty and it does look like it would be great to work in. You have such pretty things. Your Cassava sounds and looks wonderful. I've never heard of it, but it sounds good. Hugs, Marty

Mozi Esme said...

That dessert looks yummy!

And I love your home office - it looks so elegant. Far nicer than any work office I've ever had. And at home, all I have is the recliner and a laptop, a kitchen drawer, and a file cabinet in my husband's shop...

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

Christine, I love your office chairs. I really think I need one of those. Didn't you get a library ladder. Where is it? laurie

Tara said...

Your office furniture is beautiful. How great that you and your husband are both computer nuts, so someone doesn't feel left out. Now I can imagine where you sit when you read my blog, hee hee! The dessert looks great, I've never heard of cassava. After my Grandmother passed away, my Grandpa remarried a wonderful lady that was Filipino. When we got together for family things, she would occasionally cook food from her native country. It was delicious! I still remember it after all these years. have a loveleigh night!

Deb said...

very nice office...thanks for sharing your recipe...

Melissa said...

I'm seeing that our desk is very popular. We have ours set up in the middle, too, but love how you added the additional piece. I could sure use it! Beautiful room!

tiarastantrums said...

love the chinese cabinets and the chinese high back chair!!

I'm thinking I really need to get one of those dual desks!!

Chandy said...

Lovely office! I like all the Asian touches and those chairs do look comfy!

I will have to find the grated cassava and macapuno over here... Haven't had much luck, but I'll keep trying. I love Cassava Bibingka!

Oh yeah, count me in for Saturday, ok?

Anonymous said...

Your office is lovely! So much more organized than my hubby's - gotta work on that.

Congrats on your approaching 100th post - I'll be sure to check in with you :)

Lisa

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

Oh Christine, I love your home office. I have dreams of one day sharing an office space with hubby - very similar to the way you have.

For now we each have our own office. I too have Ashley office furniture... the desk, 1 shelf storage unit attached, and a lateral file to match. It's great furniture. As a matter of fact, I have many Ashley pieces in my home, however, I don't have one of those wonderful office chairs... love that it has no arms. Will have to see about getting one!

The egg collection is great and I love how you've melded two cultures in your decor.

The view is stunning and I love that you included bird feeders.

I really like the library/library steps in the hall too!

Great space.

Kristin said...

Your office really is beautiful.

The best one I've seen yet (though I still have 50+ more to look at on the list)!

Mary Bergfeld said...

What an incredible dessert. I'm going to keep my eyes open for some of the more difficult to find ingredients. Thank you for sharing this with us. Have a wonderful weekend.

Rattlebridge Farm said...

Oh, Christine, your office is a dream. I need to poke around my house and find a place of my own. It's been a challenge to write in the family room. lol I LOVE this dessert!

XX 00

Unknown said...

What an awesome office! So cozy anf that chair really does look comfortable... You hardly see office chairs with no arms... and I like to sit with my legs up too!
Dessert looks good I love coconut! I eat it everyday!
Have a great week end!
~Realy Rainey~

Lady Katherine said...

I just love your desk unit! Sound like you are always near my home. In Hickory,MS small town past Newton there is an Ashley and Lane Furniture Outlet. I love the dessert! I have read where you could cook with the yucca root! First time to see it! Looks yummy! Send me one! lol

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

I too love your office! It's just perfect -- I would spend all day between that and your pool! Thanks for your visit!

honeysuckle said...

Your office is so nice and must be convenient by your bedroom. The dessert sounds interesting. We don't have many asian markets by me as I once looked for rice wrappers to make a roll-up , but thanks for sharing.

Cindy said...

Beautiful desk and office, what a wonderful place to come to in the morning. Your chair does look very comfy.
I have never tasted anything like the dessert that you have made, but just looking at the list of ingredients tells me that it must be absolutely delicious. I am going to look for those ingedients and see if I can make it! I love foods from other cultures.
And thank you so much for stopping over at my new blog and for commenting, don't be a stranger! hugs, ~cindy s~

Roeshel said...

Your office is beautiful. I really love all of the details. And a tour with food?! Awesome! lol Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

What a comfortable looking office you have...and the food, I would love to try a piece of the Cassava Bibingka. It sure does make a lot doesn't it?

Nancy Jane said...

This sweet looks delicious and your home is just lovely. How do you keep your office so neat? Mine is currently drowning in paper!
Nancy

Shellbelle said...

Your dessert looks fabulous and such interesting ingredients. I know that the starch from this root is used to make tapioca pearls, which is used to make one of my favorite desserts — tapioca pudding. I'm going to see if I can find the ingredients for this.

Griswold Fun said...

Your office is gorgeous! I love the desk!

joyh82 said...

What a great office and view you have. I would love to get a pool.
I really like that desk. Looks like the perfect place to sit and blog.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday