Sunday, December 27, 2009

Home Sick So I Redecorated

I hope you all enjoyed your Christmas celebrations. I had a very nice quiet time with John. I was not feeling too well so I really did not want to go anywhere. But I was getting bored at home so I started working on our guest room for grandkids.
Both old and new are blue so I am linking with Sally of http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/. I am also linking the changes with Susan of http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/. For more, visit these gracious hosts and their participants.
This is how the bedroom looked. Our granddaughter, AJ loves mermaids so I created it with that theme.
But I have had the same look for almost 3 years now and I wanted a change.So, I changed it into this. The idea started with the 2 toile throw pillows I found at TJ Maxx about a month or 2 ago. They sat inside the closet for a while.
While Christmas shopping on line, I saw these matelasse coverlets at JC Penneys and ordered them. Luckily, they were the right color. While Christmas shopping at Belk's, I saw the blankets and beddings and thought they would blend well with what I had in mind. Then I saw the drapes on the clearance table. They were marked down to $19.99 a pair from $69.00 and when I went to pay for them, they were marked down even further to $9.99. Oh boy! Was I happy! They are thick and heavy. All these stayed in the closet cause I still needed bed skirts.
I have been to several stores and just could not find the right colors. I wanted striped blue and yellow skirts but just could not find them. We went to California (where I think I caught my bug from, ugh!!) last week and I was in search of these perfect bed skirts with no luck. I settled for a plain cream colored one since I could not find a plain blue or a yellow one in the right shade either and of course, no stripes. The cream dust ruffles joined my pile in the closet.
I moved that painting from our master bedroom. I think the color looks good here.
Then, while at Walmart 2 days ago to accompany John get his van oil changed, I found a striped blue and yellow material for $8.97 per yard. I pulled out the bolt to pay and then I saw the clearance table and found a small printed flowery blue and yellow material for $2.00 per yard. I debated b/w the 2 but the latter won due to the price.
Yesterday, I started sewing and adding a shirred layer of this flowery fabric into the plain cream bed skirts. Then I started putting the beddings together and this is how the room came out. I was hoping I would have enough material to make window valances but it was just enough for the bed skirts. I bought everything available which is all Walmart had that is why it was on clearance.
I ordered some toile printed valances on line and I hope they will blend with what I have going right now.
I pulled out some iron decorating pieces that I have had but just did not have the right wall to put them before and hang them above the bed. And to think that I almost gave these away on the 200th post or PIF give aways but just forgot to put them in the package. There is a reason for everything, isn't it? I think they are perfect there cause I needed something narrow.

Well sick or not, the long weekend turned out to be a productive one and I am happy. How do you like the changes?
Thanks Sally and Susan for hosting these 2 memes.

40 comments:

Blondie's Journal said...

The bedroom came out wonderful and SO pretty. I think AJ will love it!! You found some great deals and put everything together so beautifully!! And while sick!! You have so much energy!!

Love the room, Christine...great job!

xoxo
Janie

Tara said...

The bedroom looks so pretty! I love the toile pillowcases, they are my favorite part, they make the room really pop. What a great interior decorator you are Christine!

Anonymous said...

Love the yellow and blue! Lovely toile!


Stop over....

love, kelee

Anonymous said...

Love the yellow and blue! Lovely toile!


Stop over....

love, kelee

Anonymous said...

All that sewing and decorating while you were sick? You're so ambitious. The room is beautiful. It looks like it 'grew' up a little. I love the yellow curtains. It makes it so cheery and happy. Blue and yellow go so well together. Bravo! Rosie

Kat said...

The room looks beautiful Christine! I can't believe that you did all this while you were sick. It really came together perfectly, I love the colors and fabrics that you chose. Debbie at Plate Addict is going to have a fit! Perfect for a young lady who is growing up. Hope you feel better soon! Hugs, Kathy

Diann said...

Hi Christine! I hope you are feeling better! Your bedroom redo looks great!

The House Creative said...

love the yellow and blue- what a fun fresh new look!

Suesue said...

I love the toile pattern on the pillow shams and how you've layered the beds. Very pretty arched headboards too. It has a nice quiet sophisticated look now.
You really do amaze me with all you do Christine!!! Now take care of yourself!
Sue

Marigene said...

I love the yellow and blue combination, it is just so fresh looking, reminds me of a sunny summer day! Can't wait to see it once you get the valances.
Happy New Year!

Its So Very Cheri said...

Everything came out so nice and for such a bargain. It would be cute to add a valance with some blue. I love matelasses.

Cheri

Phyllis @Around the House said...

The room turned out wonderful bright and cheery, sometimes rooms just need a little tweeking and they become so fresh and new...Yours turned out beautiful, great job..

Momgen said...

You really rock girl you make the room more beautiful and congrats. Happy blue Monday.

mine is here

Linda (Nina's Nest) said...

Christine, I love the re-do of the bedroom. The blue & yellow toile is one of my favorite combinations. Those twin beds are just gorgeous! Linda

Luna said...

Hi Christine, the bedroom looks so pretty and I like it.
Have a nice last Blue Monday this year.
Happy New Year!
Smiles....Luna

Cindy said...

Wonderful job!! Hope you feel better soon.
cindy

SmilingSally said...

You sew too! Amazing! I like this room, Christine; you really worked on it, and it's all pulled together so nicely.

I recently bought two matelasse coverlets from JC Penneys too. It's my first experience with them, and I love the new ease in making beds. Happy Blue Monday!

Chubskulit Rose said...

Wow Christine, these are fabulous. I love your spacious room too! Great job!
Have a glimpse of a Japanese Yukata outfit at my page. Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

great job.and i bet aj will love it...ann

Marice said...

Wow good job Christine! :) wish you could decorate ours too ;)

u may view mine here

Gypsy Heart said...

Christine, I think it all looks beautiful! I too love the toile pillows. Can't believe you did all of this while sick ~ you truly have amazing energy!

Happy New Year ~

susan said...

Christine-I am SO sorry you have been under the weather, especially at Christmas time :(. This room turn out beautifully and is much more grown up now--as is AJ! You were very smart pulling the elements together from so many places. I have a blue and yellow guest room too and it is my favorite! LOVE the beds and other furniture in this room!! Great job!

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I like the change, it looks great!

Kerri Deitsch said...

I love this new look! The colors are so nice and bright, that room is the perfect place for them! The kids will be so excited to see it! Lovely! By the way, thanks for the heads up on the flatware! What a deal!! I ordered two sets of 4! They will become my everyday I think. We really needed some! You need my polish pottery teapot in this room!! Wouldn't it just match perfectly!

❀~Myrna~❀ said...

I love blue & yellow together ,the room is beautiful!
Happy New Year!
~Myrna

Susan (Between Naps On The Porch.net) said...

Christine...this is just beautiful! Amazing that you pulled all these different components from different places and they all work so beautifully together. You had real vision to do that! So sorry you've been sick...me too. I wonder if we have the same bug. I am feeling a tad better...but was so sick from just before Christmas to yesterday...yuck! I'm like you though, can't stand to just sit around. Look how productive you were! This is gorgeous! The room was beautiful before but I'm definitely loving the new look! What does John think? Bet he's impressed, too! :-)
Feel better soon!
Susan

☆Mama Ko☆ said...

Christine, I love your kids room, very organized and clean. I love how you make up the bed and the color combination. Thanks for sharing part of your abode.

Nancy said...

Christine: What a sweet room, again! I like both, but since toile is a favorite of mine, the new look is great, too.

My son is here for 3 weeks and then back to NO so I'm reading blogs more than commenting. I will catch up here! Hope your holidays were wonderful, though I know you didn't feel well.

Dixie said...

Christine... you did a beautiful job... I just love the transformation! (and not a mermaid anywhere in site!).

New Year blessings. Dixie

KBeau said...

I like your new look, but I can't imagine having the energy to redecorate if I were feeling poorly. You did a great job.

Self Sagacity said...

you've found some deals! great shopper and decorator. They all looked good together. :-)

Snowbrush said...

Oh, my gosh, two Mississippi bloggers in one day and I wasn't even looking. I am former Brookhavenite, lately of Oregon.

Snowbrush said...

P.S. I reprint it here just in case you miss my response to what you wrote on "thewriter'sporch."

"I didn't notice the part about "Natchez Cemetery Legends" until I saw Xinex's response in my mailbox. May I recommend two more Natchez related books. One is "The Barber of Natchez" and the other is (if I recall correctly) "Mississippi as Seen by a Yankee." In any event, the former was written in the mid 1800s by a black man, and the latter in the 1830s by Joseph Holt Ingraham. He went on to become an Episcopal priest and served at Holly Springs until his death from an accidental gunshot wound just before the Civil War. He was also the most prolific writer of his era, although completely forgotten in our own except for a few Mississippiphiles."

Allidink said...

Wow! I can't believe you did all that while you were sick! It looks so good! I love the toile pillows and everything is so pretty!

All the best,
Allison

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Your room turned out beautifully. I love the color scheme.. Thank you for swinging in and leaving such a nice comment. With Bill not remembering what day it is, it's bitter sweet.. hope you're feeling better.. hugs ~lynne~

Faded Charm said...

I love your room makeover. It looks very fresh. Thanks for stopping by to visit. I hope all your dreams come true in the New Year.

Kathleen

ThriftyAnnabella said...

Very pretty!

lvroftiques said...

Christine you crazy chick!! Who else could pull off a redecorate like this while sick?? Well girlfriend it turned out great! I am lovin' that toile accent! Can't wait to see the valances. V

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Christine,
For a sick women you sure can get a lot accomplished~ I love the make-over, blue and yellow has always been a fave of mine and you made this room so cheery and bright! You Go Girl! Hope your feeling better too. Happy New Year~ Cindy

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

It all looks wonderful! I love the matalesse coverlets and toile pillow shams... and you did this while under the weather??? Hope you are feeling better!

Blessings & Aloha!

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday