Sunday, June 13, 2010

Crazy About Garden Sitting Areas

As if we do not have enough sitting areas in the garden. But I enjoy creating these little resting or conversational areas. And I use them whenever I get tired from working in the yard or just want to rest for a while. But it seems like I am not the only one who enjoys them. When Janie and Alan were visiting, Al told me that he sat in every area in our garden. And I asked even that one? (meaning this particular one because it is so far down), and he answered "yes".



This shows the progression of the work. The first picture shows the absence of the iron bench and side table.


Then I placed the bench and table and it stayed like that for a while.


Yesterday, I decided to dress it up a bit. I took this plant window box that has been sitting in the garage and hang it on the fence. Then I moved 2 of my orchid plants and placed them in the box planter. And I took the hanging candle holder with candles also from the garage and hang it on the other side of the fence. You have probably seen another one like that hanging from the trellis near the veggie garden.

I took one of the yellow lanterns (I have 3 of them) and laid it on the table next to a plant.


The fuschia colored orchid is leaning to one side.

I eventually propped it up with a frog stake. Better?




How do you like it so far?

I have a bromeliad in a little pot that had 2 babies that have grown and the pot was getting over crowded. I decided to separate them into 3 pots and placed them around the sitting area. Since this area is far from the watering hoses and the bromeliad really does not really need a lot of watering, I thought they would be perfect there. See them in the lower photo of the mosaic?

All these 3 plants were in the smallest terracota pot. Imagine that? When I said the pot was overcrowded, I wasn't kidding. LOL! It looks like the biggest pot still has 2 plants in it.


I decided to have tea there this morning. I thought, hmmm, orchids, let me do an Asian setting.

See the magnolia tree I planted outside the fence? I can't wait for it to grow to give more shade to this area. It's a different kind of magnolia tree, it has smaller white flowers and smaller leaves too. I planted 4 of them in a row last year, going up the hill along side the fence.




I took a wooden Asian figure to add more ethnicity.
Bamboo tray, orchids, celadon tea pot and cup and fortune cookies.........you can't get more Asian than that! I thought celadon is more green but this tea set is more blue and I like it that way.
And would you like to know what was my fortune?
"When the flowers bloom, so will great joy in your life." How appropriate!







The orchids on the fence are real but the one in the tray is faux. I do have real red flowers from the garden though, the one in a small bird vase, which was given to me by Laurie of
http://bargainhuntingwithlaurie.blogspot.com/. I am having mango with passion fruit tea.




It was too hot out there so I did not really last that long to read the book plus, I had to get ready to go to church.


If you are wondering where in the yard this area is, it is all the way to the back corner of the fence. I tell ya, I was sweating putting this together going up and down the hill. I had my workout for sure.



I hope you enjoyed a minor metamorphosis in our yard.

I am linking with Susan of Metamorphosis Monday at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/

Mary for Mosaic Monday at http://dearlittleredhouse.blogspot.com/

Sally of Blue Monday at http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/


Marty for Tabletop Tuesday at http://astrollthrulife.blogspot.com/

Lady Katherine at Teatime Tuesday at http://ladykatherineteaparlor.blogspot.com/

WandaLee at Tuesday Tea For Two at http://theplumedpen.blogspot.com/

Martha and Terri for Tea Cup Tuesday at http://www.marthasfavorites.com/


Whew! That was a lot of parties. What can I say, I am a party goer, lol. Thanks to all the sweet ladies throwing them and thanks to you all for coming and don't forget to go to the hosts' blogs and check out the many great posts out there.

62 comments:

eileeninmd said...

You created a very nice sitting area in your yard, Christine. I jus love that iron bench.

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

I loved seeing the building of such a lovely spot! It came together nicely ~ even doing all of the back and forth, up hill walking :)

So nice stopping by to visit with you!

Kindly, ldh

Mary said...

What a pretty place to rest awhile! I especially love your beautiful iron fence, and those gorgeous orchids! :)

Judith @ Lavender Cottage said...

After all that up and down the hill, a rest with your cup of tea was just the thing to have.
Your cozy area turned out really nice.

A Garden of Threads said...

What a nice place to rest with a cup of tea. The mosaic are wonderful.

Snap said...

What a lovely vignette! Such a wonderful place to sit, read, have tea and rest!

Rettabug said...

Your pretty little setting draws the eye out into the yard beautifully, Christine! I really, REALLY like the black plant hanger & your orchids are stunning. My white one is done blooming for the year & is dormant now. They look so ugly at that stage, don't they?

Beautiful mosaics!

Vee said...

Yes, I can see that it was labor intensive, but what a wonderful job you did creating such a beautiful spot in your garden.

Allison Shops said...

The bench really draws the eye to that corner, and the flowering plants and all are a nice addition. You're going to have neighbors climbing over the fence to enjoy the space!
Dropping by from Met Monday, 18ft island kitchen.

Allison
Atticmag

Together We Save said...

Such a beautiful spot!! I love the bench and flowers!! You did a wonderful job.

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Love it all! I would love to have more room to create, but not sure I want the work. Thanks for sharing your beautiful yard/gardens with us.
Have a great week.
Glenda

Bobbi Ann said...

Hi, very lovely! Thank you so much for sharing this beauty! I hope that you have a wonderful new week!
Hugs...
Bobbi

Dolores said...

I love areas to sit and relax..... yours is so beautiful......
Hmmmm, love your orchids!

Debbie said...

Beautiful orchids and I love the wrought iron.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

What a lovely yard! It would be worth climbing down there to sit in such a pretty spot.

Anonymous said...

Hi Christine, you part girl you! :)
Oh, your yard is so beautiful and your flowers! You make everything look gorgeous! Hope your weekend was great.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Debbiedoos said...

I love your little seating areas too Christine...now you just added another very special one to over look them all...cute yellow lantern too.

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

You have done wonders there Christine! I love all of your gorgeous gardens and sitting areas, what fun it would be to visit you!
Hugs, Cindy

Doro said...

The orchids look great (yes to the frog stake). I love the way that you've "staged" the bench. I just want to sit with a book and drink tea. Beautiful area.

Regina said...

Love your yard and blooms all around.
Gorgeous landscape and place Christine.
Happy MM.
xo

Naturegirl said...

A nice quiet respite for your weary soul to sit and meditate or just be in the moment! Nicely done!

Rebecca said...

What a fabulous sitting area! Enjoy it! Happy Mosaic Monday!

Back Porch Blessings,
Rebecca

Annette Smith said...

Hi, I just found your blog today at Mary's mosaic mondays and I'm so glad I did. I love love love your yard and blog and am now a follower. lol
Hugs,
Annette

Kimberly said...

What a beautiful setting you have in your yard. Very nice retreat indeed!

Ingalill said...

What a cozy corner :)

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Christine, this is just perfect. Your garden is lovely, and so is this special spot! I enjoyed seeing this SO much.

XO,

Sheila :-)

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

What a wonderful area to sit, rest and enjoy your beautiful yard and home. hugs ~lynne~

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you did get a workout in that heat, too. It's beautiful. I love that iron fence! You sure know how to decorate. I got a chuckle out of you using a frog pick to prop your flower. It's clever. A mole dug a hole right next to one of my lilies, and it flopped right over. I've got frog picks, too, so I'm going to use your idea. Stay cool.

SmilingSally said...

I'm sure that a book will get read on another morning when you have no place to go. Happy Blue Monday, Christine.

Sarah said...

Christine, what pretty mosaics showing your new little garden sitting area. Great job! ~ Sarah

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Christine,

I love that bench with the sunflower on the back of it. What a great little vignette you created. I am sure you sweated a ton because it is hot and humid here and usually your area is worse. Have a super week.

Kim, USA said...

Hi Christine, you really had a touch and an eye on anything. The dressing up does turn really pretty and yes climbing up and down on that hill is worth it, calories are burnt well. ^_^ Happy Monday!


Cake & Cupcakes

Chari at Happy To Design said...

Hi Christine...

Ohhh...what a lovely place to have a cup of tea and just relax! Girlfriend, you have really made a beautiful place here...I love it! Love that pretty tea tray too!!!

Just wanted to come by to say hello and thank you for stopping by and taking a peek at my blue and white teacups! I hope that you're having a fabulous start to this new week, Darlin'!

Love ya,
Chari

Dredd said...

Hello Christine! your garden is truly a great place to relax!

much love/dredd

maria said...

Wow, you have a beautiful garden. I would love to join you for tea. ;)

Happy Blue Monday.

Mine is here.

Creations By Cindy said...

I love the sitting area. So peaceful! Be blessed. Cindy

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Christine you dressed up the garden seating area so beautifully! It looks like a wonderful place to relax with a good book and cup of tea. When the magnolia trees grow it will be such a cool spot!
♥ Pat

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Very pretty! I like to see little "resting" areas like this in gardens.

Blondie's Journal said...

You really put together another wonderful sitting area with a beautiful view. I love the wrought iron fence and furniture and the tea set up is SO pretty! You really got your exercise climbing back and forth on the hill!

I like the candle holder and the planters hooked on the fence especially. I bet it looks pretty at night, too!

xoxo
Jane

Coloradolady said...

What a peaceful spot in your yard, very inviting. Makes me want to sit a while and enjoy! Happy Blue Monday!

Sonny G said...

you have the most beautiful exterior space. Thanks so much for all the lovely photos you've shared with us..

Sonny

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Needles Everywhere said...

It looks beautiful! What wonderful change and additions. I'd be happy to join you there for tea anytime. Good job.

Beth said...

Christine, This sitting area is very pretty. You must keep very busy with all your containers, keeping them all watered. Love the orchids! Love your teaset too; it is so pretty. Your tea tray looks nice and too bad you didn't have time to read out there. Maybe some morning when it's a little cooler.
Hugs and blessings, Beth

Martha's Favorites said...

Hi: I love how you showed the progression of the vignette. Your yard is so pretty. I could just come over and stay a while. Thank you for sharing your beautiful tea pot. Blessings, Martha

Unknown said...

A positively lovely garden tea!

Blessings!
Gail

Sonia said...

What a gorgeous tea garden setting you have created...just such a great place to meditate, read a book and have a wonderful cup of tea! Beautiful!

Miss Bloomers

Lorna ~ Lace and Ivy Cottage said...

Hi Christine,
Your garden is coming along beautifully. We're busy working on ours as well, but the landscape in California is not nearly as lush as yours. This sitting area is so tranquil. Perfect for that pot of tea!

Jocelyn said...

What a lovely spot to enjoy tea. Your garden is beautiful!

Jocelyn
http://justalittlesouthernhospitality.blogspot.com/

Pellie / Penny said...

Such a lovely spot for a quiet tea. Your yard is beautiful. I like the pale color of your oriental tea service.
Thank you for sharing.

Hugs,
Penny

Debbie-Dabble Blog and A Debbie-Dabble Christmas said...

Christine!!

I just adore that sweet little spot in your yard.. First let me say that I love your fence....
and that wrought bench is to die for!! Then there is everything you added to cozy it up and WOW!! does it look charming and inviting!!
LOVE IT!!

Hugs,
Debbie

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Hi Christine...

What a great job you did styling your little "rest" area... We don't do orchids here in the Northwest.... Well, just let's say I DON'T DO ORCHIDS.. :-) They're so pretty for a very short time...Dead just isn't as pretty.

I love mango-passion fruit tea too.. Can you find Paradise Iced Tea down there? It's DELISH!

Huggies,
Spencer

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What a pretty spot you've cultivated! Loved seeing it in stages as you kept adding. Thanks for your sweet visit to my pansey table.

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

Christine, you have so many wonderful resting spots in your gardens and they are all wonderful. I love the bench and the table and now with all the planters, it is just so inviting. Just gorgeous. I would sit in them all too. Thanks so much for joining the party. By the way, maybe you could grab my TTT button and use it to replace the one that Barb had. I would appreciate it. Thanks. Hugs, Marty

Tara said...

It looks like a beautiful place to sit and relax for a bit. I think if I were to stay there too long, I might need a cushion for my tushie though! Hope you are having a wonderful week Christine!

Terri said...

You did a lovely job creating a resting space in your garden. It is very picturesque. Your tea pot and cup are beautiful. What a amazing shade of blue.
Thank you so much for joining in with Tea Cup Tuesday as well.
Hugs,
Terri

siteseer said...

what a beautiful sitting space. I love sitting out in nature and just contemplate life. Often times I grab a book then end up taking a nap because it is just so peaceful. There's a saying that the 'secret to contentment is enjoying the things you have'. Take the time to enjoy your beautiful gardens.

Kathryn @ Bonafide Southern said...

What a lovely outdoor space. Everything is just perfect. I'd love to spend the afternoon there with a cup of tea!

Americana Lady said...

Another cozy area to sit and contemplate life or enjoy a magazine. You have so many lovely areas and vignettes in you yard. As always I love visiting.
Keepin'my flag-a-wavin'...Joan

Queenie's Vintage Finds said...

Your garden bench is so pretty...looks like a great place to sit and relax!

Thanks for the tour of the Rosalie Mansion too in the post down below, that place is gorgeous :) It's always such fun coming over for your sightseeing Saturday posts!
Hope you have a great week Christine!
Big Hugs,
Queenie

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Beautiful Oriental garden with such nice tea set...it's so inviting! I'd love to go and have tea with you! Thank you for sharing with me.
Love
FABBY

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday