Friday, January 3, 2014

Florida Home Back Porch and Pool Deck

I stayed in our FL home for almost a month in Dec. So I got to do a little tweaking on the back porch.
The back porch is visible as soon as you enter the front door.
 
 I was even able to clean the glass windows and that was a big job with all these windows.
 I drink my coffee most of the time from this breakfast area in the kitchen where you can visibly see the back porch so it is important for me to like what I see so I can relax.

 My granddaughter Reese, who lives next door with her family, likes to keep me company out there.
 There are exposed nail like hardware under the windows for attachment of hurricane shutters when needed, but they are unsightly, so I covered them with wooden signs I found at Homegoods, which incidentally, is only a 4 minute drive from the house.

 Instead of buying one long table for occasional dinners outside, I opted to get 2 sets of square ones, that can easily be put together for a larger crowd.


 With my daughter Tina and her hubby Scott and 3 little kids living next door, I had a removable safety screen installed around the pool. They go swimming there even when we are home in MS and they have so many pool toys everywhere so I bought this storage outdoor bench from Wisteria to store all the toys. It is much neater now. It also serves as a nice seat for the lifeguard in case he or she does not want to swim with the kids. I was so proud that I assembled it all by myself even though I was so intimidated by all the parts when I opened the box.

 See how the tables go together nicely when all the grandkids are eating out there? I like to feed them there cause I can just hose out the floor if they make mess. I have also done tablescapes there complete with tablecloths and all, when I have adult company, and it looks nice.

Below was taken last spring when my friends visited me from Natchez. This was before I had the safety screen installed and added other outdoor furniture.
 
I have a calamundin plant which did not look good, the fruits were so much smaller than they should be although it was still alive. I transferred it to a bigger pot and fed it and it looks so much better now.


 I was so surprised to see my orchids thriving on their own and blooming even though I have not been there to take care of them since last July.
 I love the blue orchids.
I really like this double faced clock I bought from Joss and Main. It's nice to be able to see the time when you are swimming too.
 
See the 2 wooden side tables? Tina bought 4 of them from a yard sale for $2. They were ugly and stained. She gave me 2 of them which I painted and now I think they look so much better.
 These 2 loungers and grill were left and given to us by the previous owners.


 
Below is how the back porch looked before I started redecorating. It was taken last July during our family reunion to celebrate my mother's 95th birthday. See those nails below the windows. They are truly an eyesore. I am glad I got them concealed.
 
I miss our Florida home. Aside from the nice weather there, 70's to low 80's when I was there just a few weeks ago, the house is very relaxing. I miss my grandkids running around too and shopping and watching movies with my daughter. But it is also nice to be back home here in Natchez, which I still have so much to do.
 
Thank you for the visits. I hope you are all enjoying 2014 so far. Thanks to all the hostesses too. I really appreciate all your efforts.
 
Kathryn's Anything Blue Friday
Kathryn's Make it Pretty Monday
Cindy's Amaze me Monday
Susan's Metamorphosis Monday
Sally's Blue Monday
Mosaic Monday
Mary's Masterpieces Monday
My Happy List Tuesdays
Maria Elena's Tuesdays at Our Home
Marty at Inspire Me Tuesday
http://www.astrollthrulife.net/
Tuesday's Treasures
Jean's Bloomin' Tuesday
Outdoor Wed.
Kathy's Home and Garden Thursday

29 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I think it all looks so nice, Christine! That was a clever idea about the signs, too. I also like the two table option you chose.

It is cold up here, though it has gotten sunny today. It rained for two days. No 80 degree temps lately in St. Augustine.

xo

Sheila

Unknown said...

Love your Florida home! Happy New Year!

Bargain Decorating with Laurie said...

What a wonderful space, Christine! I love that your breakfast table looks out onto the porch and pool. Such a nice view for your morning coffee. I know your grandchildren love having you right next door when you go to FL. Great idea to have them eat on the porch and hose it down afterward. Happy New Year! laurie

Unknown said...

Christine I love love what your have done with your new home! Pure Floridan...with the pool screened. Makes me homesick for the property we sold there! Thanks for sharing...
I Love It!!
Hugs...

Laura S Reading said...

What a beautiful and relaxing place to call home, or even home away from home.
And how wonderful to have family enjoy it together.

I am visiting from TTG's build your social network party and am a new follower.

Sarah said...

Christine, your FL home looks like a wonderful retreat. Love the idea of a covered pool area. I know you enjoy your time in this warm state. Happy New Year!

Deana said...

Lovely! Following using GFC...found . via TTG Social network party

The French Hutch said...

Hi Christine, I love your Florida home! What a great view of the pool area from your kitchen. I see a lot of great views. It’s nice to have family next door too. A lovely place to grow those exotic flowers and plants.
Stay warm!

~Emily
The French Hutch

Glenda/MidSouth said...

What a pretty place you have to relax and enjoy your family also.
Temps in the 70's and 80's sounds wonderful right now. Barely made it above freezing here today and "they" predict Monday will be worse.
Enjoy your weekend.

Diann said...

Looks like a fantastic place to relax and enjoy some fun! Popping over from my Social Network party. I am already a long time follower!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

OMG Christine, you have such a beautiful family and I can't believe how the children have grown in front of us! Your Flo. home is looking great with all your wonderful details. I love the orchids, so lovely!
FABBY

Diane said...

Christine - you have everything looking so beautiful, especially on your porch. It is so inviting and who would not want to swim in that pool. I know you enjoy having your family next door - so convenient, if you need to borrow a cup of sugar - lol!!!

Vel Criste said...

Your so lucky to have a house in such a warm part of the country! I love the 2 table idea too, will have to keep it in mind. Glad you all are enjoying your beautiful home there!

Anonymous said...

You did a beautiful job there.

Ileana said...

Your home looks so nice . Nice view and relaxing place for your morning coffe!:)I would love to like in Florida .

Lina Gustina said...

What a beautiful home!
http://www.1sthappyfamily.com/2014/01/monday-post.html

Hannah said...

How great to be able to go to a warm place in winter, and have your grandkids right next door. The 2 tables are so much more versatile. Happy New Year!

eileeninmd said...

Christine, you have a beautiful home and a lovely family. I am sure the children love swimming in your pool.
Thanks for sharing, Have a happy day and week ahead!

SmilingSally said...

Morning Christine,

You've done such a nice job surrounding that beautiful BLUE pool with furniture and flowers.

(The nails below the windows are for hurricane shutters. Don't removed them.)

Thanks for sharing.
Have a Happy Blue Monday.

bj said...

Your Florida home is just beautiful. You are a lucky and very blessed lady to have two lovely homes.:)
xo bj

Poppy said...

Happy New Year, Christine!

Your home is beautiful and it looks like you really get to enjoy it with your family. Your dining tables are so pretty and the whole back porch and pool deck are so very inviting. I know exactly how you feel about how liking what you see enables you to relax! Knowing this, I'm sure you are a very relaxed lady after such a wonderful makeover!

Poppy

betty-NZ said...

What a great place!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Hey Chris...did you see how we're AGAIN featured at Inspire me Tuesday at A Stroll Thru Life! I love it that we're together so many times, wow! I feel excited to be next to such a fab tablescaper as yourself!
FABBY

Staff Administrator said...

beutiful pic and nice post :)

All The Pretty Dishes said...


Everything looks so beautiful. You are a lucky lady. And, in addition to having such a lovey home, you are only 4 minutes away from Homegoods. WOW!

An Oasis in the Desert said...

Your Florida home looks fabulous, Christine! I really like your outdoor living space, and what a great idea to have the two separate tables that give you so many more options.

Alison Agnew said...

i'm jealous
of how lovely and warm
it looks there

and your outdoor space
is just perfect for relaxing
and entertaining

would love for you to share
at Fridays Unfolded this week

Alison
Nancherrow

Kathy said...

Your back porch looks absolutely wonderful! Great idea to get the two square tables - works beautifully! I do appreciate you sharing with Home and Garden Thursday,
Kathy

Anonymous said...

his can be a good option to restore the condition of your pool deck to more appealing texture and look. These can be applied over undamaged kool deck textures as well. acrylic lace

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday