Thursday, January 16, 2014

Marksburg in Brauback, Germany



This is the day when hubby did not feel well so he decided to stay in the ship to rest and relax. I went with my sisters and friends to tour Marksburg Castle and then we cruised the Rhine River. I still feel bad for John because he missed 2 very nice tours.
The Marksburg Castle stands majestically on top of the mountain in Braubach. It is the only medieval castle in the middle Rhine that was never destroyed. It was built in 1117. The fortress was used mostly for protection rather than a residence for the royal family. It was also used as a prison during the Napoleon era.
 We were warned that the tour would entail lots of walking on uneven terrain and steps, that once we entered the big gate, they lock it behind us so there is no turning back. Maybe this is what scared John, especially because he wasn't feeling very well, lol.

 These were the many steps that we had to climb just to get to the castle.
 It was worth every step just to see this spectacular view of the middle Rhine.






 I love all the old stone walls. I should have been born in the medieval times.



 Cannons aiming at the Rhine River which can shoot up to 1000 meters.

It has a surprising medieval herb garden on the top with about 150 medieval plants.


 Was this the torture chamber or just where the carriages and parts were stored? We took so many tours that I could not remember a lot of things that was said by the guide.
 Oh yes, the torture chamber!

 We made it up and down the steps.
 and down the road to go back to the tour bus.

 Now, the castle is behind us, we headed towards the dock.





 Right after touring the Marksburg, we headed for the dock to board the Namedy, to cruise along the Rhine River while having lunch, which will be my next travel post for next week, so stay tuned.

Thanks much one again for your visits. I appreciate the hostesses very much too.

Oh the Places I've Been
Scenic Sunday
Mosaic Monday

7 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I have so enjoyed seeing all your Germany snapshots. I hope to be able to go there someday.

xo

Sheila

Michele {Malaysian Meanders} said...

This looks just like the classic fairytale castle with a tall tower and crenelated wall. I really like your first photo of it high up on the hill. What an interesting tour!

Beth said...

Beautiful views, Christine. I have enjoyed your European river cruise through your blog posts!

Lulu said...

Lovely adventure. A river cruise in this area is on my list of things to do.

Lady of the Manor said...

I'm so glad you made that trek! We saw this castle from the Rhine but didn't make it up for the tour. Wish we had now. Love you photos! That herb garden was a great surprise!

Vel Criste said...

I'm super jealous, I can't pick a favorite stop ! Thanks for taking us along!

Mary @ The World Is A Book said...

I love castles and this one is a beauty high on top of a hill. Maybe somewhere Rapunzel may have hidden. :) It's just gorgeous and what a view from the top. I never would have expected an herb garden though - such a pleasant surprise.

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday