Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Bees and Buttercup

My friend, Brenda was off and we have not seen her for a while, so we decided to have a get together luncheon at home. I have been so busy with yard work and taking care of the water damage inside the house so I could not set up the table ahead of time. Good thing my friends suggested we will do a potluck so all I had to make was a dessert, rice and hot tea.

I did not invite anybody else because I am a little shy about inviting people if it is potluck. Does anybody else feel this way? I would rather cook everything than ask guests to bring food too but today, I had no time to cook. The luncheon was a spur of the moment thingy.


I just set the table in the morning while baking my "cassava coconut" dessert. My Spode "Buttercup:" dishes were easily accessible. They were displayed in my open china cabinet in the kitchen so I decided to use them.




Then I went around the house and picked anything that would blend for a centerpiece and this is what I came up with.







I bought the yellow sheer lacy embroidered runner from the other vendor's booth in the store for $1.50




I really like these plates. I love the texture and the colors.





See how they are kindly ruffly and have a basket weave pattern?



Bee napkin rings were bought for $1.99 each on clearance at Sur La Table. The Napoleon Bee flatware are from Horchow or Neiman Marcus.









This hand painted lidded server is from Ebay. I thought it matched the plates perfectly. I served mango salsa in it, which goes so well with the fried fish.




The pineapple goblets are from TJ Maxx from a long time ago.



The yellow and brown bird S & P shakers blended in too. I sliced hot peppers from my vegetable garden for the people who likes hot salsa like me. I could not add them ahead of time because John does not like spicy food. He came home for lunch to join us 3 ladies for a little while.






I served hot tea from my Bee teapot into the Spode "Buttercup" teacups and saucers.










My friends brought fried fish, baked beans and a raspberry drink while I baked this coconut cassava dessert you see below. I also made rice and mango salsa and hot tea.



If you want to see some really good tablescapes, go visit Susan at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com/.



To see some lovely vintage things, go to Vintage Thingie Thurs.
http://coloradolady.blogspot.com/



Thank you for hosting, ladies, and thanks for stopping by, y'all!

27 comments:

Olive said...

Christine, the ruffly china is beautiful and the bee detail on the flatware is wonderful. I love all of it. Hugs♥O

Glenda/MidSouth said...

Very pretty table and the food sounds yummy! Water damage ? I must have missed that post - what happened? Not to bad I hope

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

So sorry to hear about your water damage, Christine. But wow, you set a gorgeous table and I love that china! Cute teapot too. Oh, and I can't believe you were able to throw that fabulous centerpiece together so fast. Wonderful!!

:)
ButterYum

Unknown said...

I love this tablescape! What beautiful colors...Sorry about the damage, but it didn't seem to damping your spirits. As they say, "The show must go on"!
Great post! Hugs!
Loretta

Kathleen said...

I love that china, it is gorgeous. And your bee napkin rings are so cute!
I did BEES too. How funny!

Marigene said...

Bee-utiful table, Christine! The china is very pretty...love the basketweave pattern. Your mango salsa looks delicious.

Marlis said...

Christine, I love those dishes! You set the prettiest luncheon table ever. And with what you had at home, it's quite lovely. Your glasses and the serveware are perfect with the table and the napkins and placemats too. Now what water damage? I missed something here.. and I'm glad you are over it. a very pretty table Christine.. and the food once again looks soo good.. xo marlis

Anonymous said...

You are so good Christine! This is wonderful!

Sue said...

Oh how pretty! I agree that the texture of the china is really unique and sets such a beautiful table. I love the napkin rings and the teapot. This turned out beautifully and I'm sure your guests loved it!

FABBY'S LIVING said...

My dear Christine...such gorgeous things you have and this table is so much fun, happy, colorful and at the same token, your beautiful china is so elegant! I love the yellow bee-hive teapot, the flatware and goblets, beautifully put together, such great elements, it almost looks fallish! I also love the tureen with and the content, looks yummy!! Lovely! Lots of hugs. FABBY

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I'm so glad you're water issues are resolved, my friend, anything like that it's such a set back on the household! Wow. Love, FABBY

Entertaining Women said...

I've always admired the Spode, "Buttercup", but I've never appreciated the embossed inner verge until your gorgeous pictures. The pitcher and flowers looked as if they had been specifically created to go with your tablescape. Thank you for sharing your wonderful design. Cherry Kay

ℳartina @ Northern Nesting said...

Beautiful Christine!! I love your Spode dishes! So sorry to hear about your water damage, looks like we're going through it together:( Martina

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful table Christine!! I love those dishes- they are not like any I have seen before.

I have that same sweet teapot and creamer/sugar. My sisters' gave it to me last year for my birthday. Those bee napkin holders are going on my list to hunt for!!

bee blessed
mary

Carrie said...

Your table is just exquisite, Christine! You have so many lovely things and you use them so beautifully. I got 8 place settings of Spode Buttercup this year and really love how you've used bees and other motifs for a very pleasing table setting.

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

Stunning table with gorgeous china! Love those napkin holders.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

OH I just love this table Christine!
It's cheerful, pretty and whimsical too!
I love those glasses and the bee napkin rings, you sure have table talent!
lol. New phrase I guess, table talent!
Hugs,
Cindy

Richard Cottrell said...

i have always liked anything Spode. Yellow in china is not all that common. I just love the bees on the silverware. very French. Thanks for sharing as usual. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Beth said...

Christine, Your china is stunning! I absolutely love it. Love those bee napkin rings and the pineapple goblets too. Pretty table, nicely done and could you pass the dessert please? Yum!
Hugs, Beth

Jewel Sauls said...

Gorgeous table as always, but this one brought back a flood of memories. My grandmother, Jewel (who I was named after) had Spode Buttercup and we almost always had Sunday Dinner (after church dinner, not supper) at her house on these dishes. My brother inherited them and I haven't eaten on them in decades. They are beautiful and look great on your table! Thanks for sharing!

Gloria said...

The was one beautiful tablescape! I loved the yellow, and those dishes are just gorgeous. Your food looked yummy too. :)
I'm sorry to hear you had water damage... I should try to go back to the post that I missed where you spoke about it. I hope all is well now though.
Best,
Gloria

Lana Kim White Austin said...

This table is stunning@!@!!! I LOVE that china with the texture/basket weave pattern. You put everything together so perfectly and please tell us the coconut dessert recipe!!!! Looks wonderful!!!!
Tres chic!

Hugs/blessings,
Lana

Nancy's Daily Dish said...

Christine,

This is one of my favorite tables you've set so far. Love the pattern, colors, layers, flatware...all of it!

Nancy

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

I love this china! And I have always loved this bee flatware.Sorry to hear about water damage-that is terrible.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

One of my passions are little wildflowers. These dishes are so beautiful and look like that! The table is so pretty and I love the bumble bee's.

Tess said...

This is a beautiful table! Spur of the moment events are so often the most fun!! I LOVE your floral dishes...they are GORGEOUS!! The whole table is just beautiful!

Traci said...

I'm so behind on my blog reading! I love coconut & that dessert looks great!

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday