Sunday, August 7, 2011

From Blah to Blue!

I bought this table with an attached lamp from a consignment shop in Vicksburg. I wanted to paint it but my husband is always against painting anything stained wood so I brought it to the store as is.



It sat there forever. I just knew it because it was ugly. So, I decided I gave it enough chance and I took it home to be refinished. Here it is now in our garage.



See the pedestal table in the background? It will be my next project after I convince my hubby that it needs to be refinished. We bought it from a junk store for $40 and it is solid heavy wood and in perfect condition.



Ok, done! I used Annie Sloan's chalk paint in Duck Blue so I did not even have to prime it. This is the first time I ever tried that kind of paint and I love it.



I just sanded a few spots to give it a distressed look and then waxed it.





John bought this ugly TV stand for the kids' guest room while I was in Florida. It was gray and ugly and I hated it. As soon as I got a table that I liked better, I brought this in the garage and it stayed there forever until AJ, my granddaughter, was visiting here last month and we were looking for a project to do. I decided to paint this. I gave her a primer and she did most of the painting and then it sat in the garage again.




I finally decided to spray paint it after I was finished repainting the lamp table.






Do you see it in the background on the right? The paint was a little uneven. It's not wood and the spray paint would not adhere evenly but it's ok. It had an appearance of a cloud and I think it's pretty cool. It'll be perfect for a small boy's bedroom. I brought it to my booth to sell also.


I embellished the lamp shade a little, glued some of these feathery stuff.





I brought it to my booth last Saturday. I am curious to see how long it will sit there again.


What do you think?





Linking with Susan for Metamorphosis Monday at http://betweennapsontheporch.blogspot.com


Sally for Blue Monday at http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/


Mary's Masterpieces Monday at http://boogieboardcottage.blogspot.com/

Carrie's Amaze Me Monday at http://dittledattle.blogspot.com/


Many thanks to our gracious hostesses and thanks to you all for visiting!

23 comments:

FABBY'S LIVING said...

I love it Chris, the blue is great and the shade is perfect! Boy, you are talented, you really had it in you! I never did anything like this, next time I have an ugly old thing, I'm gonna try this! Lots of hugs. FABBY

Savannah Granny said...

Christine, You know I love anything blue. I think it will sell in the blink of any eye!
So smart of you to teach the younger generation the benefits of work and the skills of talent.
Hugs, Ginger

Dolores said...

So what does John think of the amazing transformation of the ugly table into the beautiful blue table? I predict it sells quickly, beautiful job! The shade is so pretty too!

Marty@A Stroll Thru Life said...

It looks adorable. I think it will sell right away. Hugs, Marty

Jojo said...

I love the beautiful blue and with the shade it's absolutely perfect!!! I bet it will be gon in no time.

Debbiedoos said...

That looks adorable Christine. I have used a lot of colors now from Annie Sloan, and I have to say the duck egg blue is my all time fav.

Kathy said...

It looks much better! Love that color!
Kathy

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

The shape of the table is darling, I love the feet. I'm sure it will sale right away now.. I must try some of the chalk paint...
hugs ~lynne~

Confessions of a Plate Addict said...

I haven't used that paint yet, but everyone keeps giving it rave reviews! The lamp looks wonderful! And...I was just reading about all the grandbabies you have on the way! Wow, Christine! What fun! Just immagine Christmas in a few years! Happy weekend!...hugs...Debbie

Marlis said...

I am now convinced I have to find that paint.. I have too many project that require attention. Your table is soo much better in the blue. I am sure it will fly out the door. Good luck, xo marlis

Cindy (Applestone Cottage) said...

Love that table now Christine!
I love the look of painted furniture and especially with pieces that aren't that great, it really gives it a fresh new look!
Bet John likes it now and it will sale soon!
Hugs,
Cindy

Pamela said...

What a transformation! Love the color!

Gloria said...

Great job, Christine! I like it a lot better painted that pretty color. I understand John not wanting to paints something wood (my Mom was the same way, and so am I, to an extent), but this really looks wonderful. I am sure you will sell it in no time!
Best,
Gloria

Tara said...

Both makeovers look great! I really like the lamp table. The Duck Egg Blue is one of my favorites. Why is it men always seem to prefer the natural wood? Even if it's really ugly with an awful stain. They must be born with some chromosome!

Jewel Sauls said...

Love, love, love how you improved these pieces! My husband has the same prejudice about painting stained wood - it's a struggle to convince them, but your furniture speaks volumes. They look lovely now!

Kim, USA said...

It turn out really gorgeous and if I have a teen daughter I would definitely buy this, like it! Thanks for the visit!

My name is Riet said...

THat turned out beautiful Christine. Lovely color blue.

Fashion Momma said...

It's beautiful! Great shots.

My Blue Monday is here.

bj said...

Why, I think it is the cutest thing..I love that blue. Perfect. Now, John has GOT to love it.:)
What IS it with men that they think it's a sin to paint wood furniture??? Mr. Sweet is the same way but getting MUCH better about it now. It took forever for him to see how much better some things looked painted. :)))

Chubskulit Rose said...

Very creative Tin!

Kathleen said...

I think it will sell soon! It came out cute!

I have a hard time painting what I know is good furniture. DH goes nuts. But I have something I may do...someday when he goes to Costco for the day! :)

Bunny Jean said...

Those pieces all look great painted blue. I just posted about how blue is making a big comeback.

I host a party on Wednesdays that is a showcase for bloggers with less than 500 followers.... and I would like to invite you! (the linky is open now)

xoxo BunnyJean @ BunnyJean's Decor and More!
www.BunnyJeansDecorAndMore.blogspot.com

I am # 141 in the Met Monday party.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

I love it, it turned out great!

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday