Friday, October 22, 2010

Historical Natchez and Jewelry Making

We have a very close friend who knows a lot about Natchez and sad to say that he is moving to another state soon. He gave us a personalized tour of Natchez a few weeks ago.
Last week, I showed you the Forks of the Road, where the chains used for slaves still exist. I am not showing them again because my chest gets heavy reading about it.
But I am showing you the rest of historic Natchez today.

Before I do that, let me show you my pink contribution.
I have a new hobby, jewelry making. I joined an hour of jewelry making session when we were cruising on the Oasis of the Seas and learned the basics and just went from there. I am sure there is much more to be learned but I am actually able to create some. Last weekend, in addition to the Balloon Festival going on in town, there was a jewelry show at the convention center. They sold lots of jewelry supplies and I bought natural rocks, stones and crystals.
I picked the pink stones and supplies to show you today. I will show some finished products on Monday for Metamorphosis Monday.


Now, let's go sightseeing in Natchez. This is one of the restaurants we frequent downtown, Biscuits and Blues. Greg Iles, a NY best selling author who lives in town, often mentions their crawfish and mushroom topped beignets in his books. And they are super good! In fact, that's where we ate after the tour and both John and Clyde ordered that appetizer.



I love downtown Natchez. It is very quaint and charming and it has so many good restaurants and lots of antique shops. Parking is no problem.


Below is William Johnson's building. He is the famous Barber of Natchez. If you want to know about Natchez' history first hand, you should read "The Barber of Natchez". William Johnson was a slave who rose to freedom and became a successful businessman, first as a barber and then went into real estate and other businesses, owned his own slaves, all before 1850. He kept a 2000 page diary of his day to day life including the exact amounts of what he spent and all his business records. It is really very interesting and Natchez owes a lot to him. Because of what he recorded, Natchez became aware of its past history.


These are houses that are very typical of what you see around downtown. The background picture is a bluff full of kudzu, which is everywhere here too.




Magnolia Hall, one of the grand antebellum mansions downtown.



Sorry, I have to show you this tree but it is part of history. This tree in front of City Hall was the same one where outlaws were actually hung. Their loved ones stood on the ground tearfully hugging them as they hang down to their last breathe. I am glad that practice does not exist anymore.




Prentiss Hall: We always held physicians' Christmas parties here in the past but the building has just sold so I am not sure if we will continue having them here, but the building and all its furnishing are really exquisite and so beautiful. It is full of antiques.



This is a private home and I am sure the owner does not believe in "less is more", lol. AJ gets a kick out of this house everytime we see it and you will never miss it driving by towards the Mississippi River.




These are houses along the Mississippi River. Don't they just have the most breathtaking view?



A tour in Natchez is not complete without a ride to the Natchez cemetery. It's famous and it houses the famous "Turning Angel". Angels on the Bluff is also held every year where a reenactment of peoples' lives in the olden days as acted upon by the descendants of the ones buried there, in period costumes. We are going to see it for the first time next month after Halloween and we are meeting with Carol, a blogger from Hattiesburg. It is supposed to be a real good event, in fact, tickets are always sold out that is why we reserve early. People come from all over to experience it.




Have you read Greg Iles' latest novel, "The Devil's Punchbowl"? I asked our friend to take us there and so he did. It is just north of the cemetery. It was kinda spooky. The devil's punchbowl is a very deep semi circular pit and was said to be used as a hiding place by the river pirates. Some still believes that there are still some hidden treasures in there along with some skeletons and dead bodies but I am not going down there to find out.

Natchez' Little Theater.


I hope you enjoyed this little tour of our historical town. Thanks a lot for joining me and thanks, Beverly for another Pink Saturday.

25 comments:

G. S. said...

Thanks for the tour!
Just thought I would tell you - jewelry making is addictive! :-D I went "junkin" today looking for some bits and pieces to work with.
Have a great weekend.

Dolores said...

Wow, magnificent tour! The tree......is so big and beautiful!!!
Hugs,

xinex said...

Thanks, G.S, I am already finding that out, lol.

Blondie's Journal said...

Very interesting post Christine, I enjoyed it! The restaurant that you, John and Clyde ate at looks like the one that you and John were going to take Al and I to our first afternoon in Natchez. Am I wrong?

You are going to have so much fun making the jewelry...time, I'm not so sure!!

XO,
Janie

Debbiedoos said...

Oh that looks fantastic....what wonderful pictures and views! Love historical sites like this. Thanks for sharing Christine.

Sue said...

I grew up going to Biloxi every spring, but we never went to Natchez. I'd love to do that sometime.

I tried jewelry making a few years ago. I bought the most gorgeous beads, but I could never get the hang of the clasps. Mine always fell apart!

Tara said...

Fascinating! I love looking at the old houses. That tree is so beautiful, yet what a sad history. You have to wonder if the tree carries the imprint of all those hangings, the bad energy. Or am I just weird for thinking that?!
Have a great weekend Christine!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

It is a neat town! Loved this tour, and I think jewlery making would be right up your alley. You are so talented and love pretty things!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Gloria said...

Beautiful homes and beautiful photos. And jewelry making? Where do you find the time? Do you ever SLEEP, Christine?! LOL! Well, best of luck and much fun in your new adventure of jewelry making!
Best,
Gloria

Unknown said...

A fantastic tour, so beautiful houses!

Happy Pink Saturday!
Hugs
Charo

Debra said...

Beautiful tour Christine, I enjoyed it very much! Natchez is so very beautiful.

Donna said...

Hi, Christine,
You made me laugh at your comment on my blog.
I have to turn the hall light on first before I can go into the back bedrooms. hehehe. I'm so glad I'm not the only one.
Loved your tour of one of my favorite towns. I would love to take that cemetery tour.
Are the tickets sold out already?
D

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the tour of beautiful Natchez!

Carol at Serendipity said...

Christine,
Beautiful tour. Nice job. Jewelry making sounds like a lot of fun. I cannot take on another craft/hobby!!!!

Happy Pink Saturday!

Carol

Beverly said...

Happy Pink Saturday, Christine. I am anxious to see what you created with these gorgeous beads.

And, thank you for the great tour of Natchez. There is much in history that was sad, and much to be learned from past experiences.

Debby@Just Breathe said...

What a sweet down. The building are beautiful. The house are so pretty, would love to have one on the river. So your making jewelery, that is awesome. You certainly like to be busy!

Unknown said...

You captured everything beautifully. It is a very pretty town & lovely settings ...
Have a wonderful PS week ~
TTFN ~Hugs, Marydon

Donnie said...

That was such a great picture tour. Love the jewelry making. Happy Pink Saturday!

Savannah Granny said...

Thank you so much for the great tour. Natchez is a beautiful city and you showcased it beautifully. I have a neighbor who does jewelry. She have become well known in this area. I know you will enjoy this craft. Hugs, Ginger

Kat said...

Thanks for the tour Christine. Natchez really is a beautiful town, the homes are lovely. I have read "The Devil's Punchbowl", how neat that you shared a picture! Have fun with the jewelry making, love those pink beads! Kat

Sue said...

Oh, what a wonderful tour for us! I love seeing historical brick buildings, old mansions, and the scenery. That is one huge "hanging tree." And that crazy house whose owner knows no boundaries as far as decorating is a hoot! Enjoy your new jewelry making endeavor.
hugs, Sue

Francie...The Scented Cottage Studio said...

We love Natchez. thanks for the photos ... and I'll have to check out that author.
(())
Francie

Personalized Sketches and Sentiments said...

It's always a treat to take a peek around with you as a tour guide. Thank you for sharing Natchez.

Blessings & Aloha!

Traci said...

The houses are just so pretty!

Nancy said...

Great tour! Making jewelry is fun!

I'm still visiting around PS posts. Have a wonderful week!

Popular Posts

Blog Archive


Mary's Masterpiece Monday

Susan's Metamorphosis Monday

Tea Cup Tuesday

Tablescape Thursday

Fertilizer Friday

Pink Saturday